Demons Are Smartasses. Who Knew?

"An alliance? With demons?" Gabe suddenly shouted. "Have you lost your mind?"

Chamuel shushed him. The seraphim turned to me, questioningly. "He has a point. What makes you think we can trust them? They could turn and stab us in the back at any moment." He fluttered his wings nervously. "They could be just a distraction... as far as we know, they could lead us straight into a trap."

"We wouldn't do that." a new voice came into the conversation. It was the demoness. "I couldn't help but overhear your plan." She nodded to Gabriel. "You aren't one to discuss things quietly."

I glared at her for interrupting. She was bold both in battle and out, I could give her that.

She sighed and shifted her scythe from one hand to the other. Sticking out the freed hand, she offered it in a handshake.

"Name's Cassandra. Grumpy butt over there is my swordbrother,-"I blinked at the unfamiliar term, but did not interrupt. "-Coverson. The little one is Oliver, my biological brother."

"Call me Covy." said the former, striding to Cassandra's side. Oliver followed him."And, to be honest, an alliance would-"

"Be a wonderful idea." Cassandra cut him off.

The two shared a glare.

They are clearly hiding something. We can't trust them.

Enough, Gabriel. Cham, as usual, was being extraordinarily calm, given the circumstances.

"Why are you here?" I asked, ignoring Cassandra's hand. She held it for a few more seconds, then dropped it.

"We have, er, simply put, decided to flee Hell." she said.

"What do you mean, 'flee Hell'?" Gabriel snapped. Way to win them over...

The demoness stiffened as if offended but did not raise to the bait.

"We could no longer serve as pawns to them. So we left."

Her gaze remained defiant, but she placed her hand lightly on Oliver's head- a protective gesture.

"We have another reason we decided to leave," she said. Closing her eyes, she slowly spread out her wings. But instead of the bat-like wings of a demon, she had... impossible.

She had feathers, not many, but small patches of them, like a young angel's first molt.

"When these started growing, we knew we had to leave," Covy said. He had spread out his own wings, revealing a similar sight. Oliver, not to be outdone, spread out his own tiny, semi-feathered wings.

"How is that possible?" Gabe asked. He sounded more intrigued than angry. I suppose that was an improvement.

"We don't know. But others have existed before us, and they were all killed by the ruling forces in Hell." He paused, like he wanted to say more, but remained silent.

Something was definitely up, but we weren't exactly in a position to press for more information. Covy folded his wings back to his sides. Cassandra, too, tucked hers under her cloak.

"Now, who are you? And, more importantly, what are you doing here?" She questioned.

I don't trust them.

Gabe, you don't trust anyone.

I trust you and Cham. But not demons.

Cham joined in on the conversation. They haven't given us a reason to distrust them.

They attacked us!

They were protecting the kid. He ran out of the bush when Michael pinned Cassandra against the tree. Cham countered calmly.