Suddenly, A Soul

"Mich. Michael." a soft trilling voice woke me up. I blinked my eyes open, looking in confusion at the stone ceiling over my head. Turning to the voice, I saw the familiar outline of Ezekiel standing over me. The events of the day came crashing back. Cassad- no, Cassie's injury, the demon's confessions, Kaydeen's return. I sat up and rubbed my eyes awake.

"You are not going to believe this." Ezekiel whispered. He jerked his head across the fire.

It honestly did take a moment to process. Cassie was curled up, looking almost gentle, her head resting in Covy's lap. Her injured leg was angled oddly from her body, like a child's rag doll after being thrown down. It was outright bizarre to see the usually severe-faced demoness asleep peacefully, curled up and seeming soothed. She looked so much younger this way. Maybe in her late teens. Perhaps that's why I had thought her too young. Then again, a demon could change their appearance at will. Always ready to deceive. But not these demons, apparently.

For a moment, I thought Covy was also asleep, until he opened his forest green eyes and gave us a glare.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing." Ezekiel said innocently.

Covy shrugged, and leaned his head back against the wall. I noticed he kept half an eye on us. We may have decided to trust them, but I don't think he fully trusted us.

I stood up, stretching myself awake. Ezekiel sat down where I had slept, murmuring a simple goodnight.

I peeked around the wall of the cave to the outside. The rain had stopped, and the sky was clear, exposing the multitude of stars in the heavens above. I stood in silence, for quite some time.

I ducked back into the cave when I heard a soft gasp. Cassie was thrashing in her sleep, letting out soft gasps and whimpers. Covy rested his hand on her head, running his hand softly through her hair.

"Easy. Easy. It's just a nightmare. It's not real." He whispered.

He continued to run his hands through her thick dark hair, trying to calm her. She continued to whimper in her sleep.

Covy leaned down, and, still whispering, did the last thing I expected him to.

He began to sing.

"It has always been just us two
Together, we will get through
The darkness
Will be bright as the days blue
I'll be happy as long as I'm with you

It has always been us two
It doesn't matter, just me and you
Hellsfire
We walk together through
My joy comes from being with you."

Cassandra began to still, her whimpers quieting as her swordbrother lulled her back to sleep.

Covy smiled as he sat back up, tension leaving his shoulders. He stroked her cheek, and sung a last verse.

"So long as I'm with you
My love and heart will stay true."

Cassie was sleeping peacefully now, no longer thrashing or whimpering.

"I didn't know you could sing," I commented.

Covy jumped. I think he had forgotten I was there. His face was visibly red with embarrassment.

"Er- um, it's a song that demons use to sing their cubs to sleep. I figured it would calm her down." He said hastily.

I shook my head, letting out a snort of amusement as I smiled. "You don't need to defend yourself."

He relaxed a bit. I noticed he continued to run his fingers through Cassandra's hair, smoothing the black curls.

"Was that one of the nightmares she talked about?" I asked.