Prologue

It had been twenty years since the fall of Crawford Starrick's empire at the hands of the Assassins Evie and Jacob Frye and their companions. Since then, the city of London enjoyed relative peace under the watchful eye of an aged Jacob Frye and his Rooks. That was, until, the autumn of 1888.

Once more the city found itself shrouded in the shadows with fear as multiple gruesome and unsolved murders began to arise. Prostitutes from some of Whitechapel's brothels were found dead in grisly fashion. All the women were murdered by one man, Jack the Ripper. Without the aid of his Rooks, Jacob intended to find and kill the murderer. Knowing he alone would not be able to end the Autumn of Terror, he requested the aid of his married sister Evie all the way from India.

֍

Jacob sat in his house, an old chest sat before him with its lid open and its contents spilled over the floor. He looked at it with such sadness and heaved a heavy sigh as he began to carefully return the contents to their confines. He hadn't moved on since Samantha's death and disappearance. He might be slightly better but, not quite free from his burden.

When Henry suggested that he put away everything that reminded him of the girl Jacob admittedly became defensive. To him, putting away all that held her memory was wrong and insulting to her spirit. It took Henry and Evie a month to calm Jacob and correct him. They didn't want him to forget her, just move on so he could be a functional human again. Henry suggested that Jacob needed to deal with his loss in stages and putting away any mementos of her would help him in easing the pain.

"How I wish you were still here," Jacob muttered to himself as he lifted the twin gauntlets he had made for her. They were a gift that Jacob commissioned from Alexander Graham sometime before Samantha's demise and after that tragic night, he just kept them beside him at all times.

Jacob gently placed them on top of the assassin robes he had put together just before Mrs. Evan's death. It was the last project the former seamstress did before passing away in her sleep. It was composed of white shirt and black pants similar to how Evie formerly dressed, a dark brown leather coat and underbust went over that. He also had long boots that Samantha had said she wanted when the girl spotted them in a shop. They were in perfect condition and appeared to still be brand new as opposed to twenty years old.

Hidden beneath the clothes were a pistol and some bullets. Samantha wasn't too fond of using a gun so the one she used to have was still functional. He placed the belts and a small letter beside the gauntlets. He sighed once more before closing the chest.

He glanced out the window and realized it was getting late. "I must hurry, I still need to see Arthur Weaversbrook." Jacob then shoved the chest beneath his bed before leaving his house. Hopefully, Evie would arrive soon so that they could end this nightmare.