Chapter 2

Evie had gone straight to Frederick's office, believing Samantha would be fine at Jacob's house for a moment longer. She didn't expect to find Samantha there already, dressed in an old uniform Jacob had made for her out of compulsion. If her memory served, Jacob had it made so that he would have something to remember her by and it was hidden somewhere in a chest. Clearly, that somewhere was in his house.

"Samantha?" Evie asked as she entered the room, shocked to see her prepared for a fight. If she looked closely enough, Evie could see some blood on the fair girl's hand. "What are you doing here?"

"The Ripper found out where I was and I had to kill a few Rooks to save my own ass." Samantha sighed, her head hurt from trying to make sense of her situation. Not only was she bothered by the fact that she clearly knew where she was going when she was looking for the police station, but she felt a bizarre sense of nostalgia when she traveled through Whitechapel. Then, to add to her unease, Frederick Abberline recognized her the moment she entered his office and declared that she had died twenty years ago.

Now, Samantha may be wrong, but she was fairly certain that she had never been greeted by death nor explored London before. She may not remember much since her hospitalization but she was pretty sure nothing this weird has ever happen to her.

However, despite telling the inspector this, Frederick insisted that she did die and that Jacob had mourned her death for years. This left the poor girl so confused and in need is answers. She knew that given certain circumstances, however, wouldn't grant her that relief any moment soon though.

"I see." Evie sighed, she had hoped to keep Samantha out of trouble so that they wouldn't have to relive her death again, this time at the hands of the Ripper, but trouble was drawn to the girl. She shouldn't have expected anything less coming from Samantha. The girl attracted trouble which was probably why Jacob loved her so dearly. "Where's the inspector?"

"Went out," Samantha stated, glancing up at the ceiling in a lazy manner. "He should be back soon."

"I don't have time to wait." Evie muttered under her breath, "I must find Weaversbrook."

Samantha moved away from the wall she was leaning upon, "Well, given your new reputation, you're gonna have some trouble with that." She headed to Federick's desk and picked up a newspaper, handing it to Evie.

"Murder at Owers Manor?" Evie read softly to herself, now she was being pegged as a killer? She wasn't sure if this was Jack's doing or just a misconception by the reporters.

"Miss Frye!" Federick said as he entered the office, "I see Samantha has informed you of the recent news events."

Evie barely glanced at the inspector before noticing that the article was published by the man she was looking for. "Inspector, I must get to this man before the Jack does."

"You're causing more trouble than he is." The inspector sighed, the poor man was tired and unsure of what to do anymore. He wanted to help Evie and Jacob, but this was turning into such a nightmare. If it wasn't for the fact that only Evie could stop Jack, Frederick would have had to arrest Evie in this moment. "You mustn't be seen, Mr. Weaversbrook has a residence near St. Paul's."

"I'll go with you," Samantha said, following Evie to the window, "I'm not being left behind again."

Evie opened her mouth to argue but, the inspector agreed with Samantha. "Let her go, I can't keep her here and you may need the help."

"Inspector-" Evie tried to argue without bringing up Samantha's past involvement, however, Frederick Abberline wasn't against bringing that up.