Chapter 1

Samantha sat at her desk, finishing up her homework for the day as she planned to spend the next day watching anime or reading. She hadn't had many days off since the spring semester started and this last week of school was becoming a bit rough on her. Being that it was almost time for the summer semester, her teachers were preparing for the finals which was something she didn't like.

All the notes, quizzes, and reminders of previous lessons were mundane to her as she had no interest in repeated information. Yes, it was necessary however, she preferred to wing her tests rather than study. It was weird to many of her classmates that she had the unusual talent of being able to pass her tests with little effort on her part. People thought she was just really smart but, the brunette felt that she was just really lucky.

Leaning back in her black office chair, Samantha stretched her arms and glanced over at her television and old Xbox 360. It had been a good month since she played any of her video games; the last game she played was Dishonored 2 and she had yet to try out her copies of Titanfall 2 and Gears of War 4. Also, she hadn't touched her copy of Assassin's Creed Syndicate in almost a year.

For reasons she didn't understand, she had felt a need to both avoid the game and play it again. It was a strange desire, one that confused her and often gave her a headache if she thought about it too much. For the most part, she avoided the game like it was the Black Plague and managed to ignore its existence. However, when she did ever let her mind wander to it, she couldn't deny that there was something drawing her to the game. There was a desire to play it and her will to defy that desire was beginning to wither.

Her iPhone rang suddenly, taking her attention away from the game. She looked at the screen and saw that Zenin was calling her. Glancing at the small clock at the top of the screen, she realized that Zenin had just gotten out of work which probably had something to do with the call. Picking up the phone, she swiped the green icon to the right and held it to her ear.

"Hello?" Samantha answered, Zenin rarely ever called Samantha unless she had something to say and it couldn't be said over a text.

"Omigosh! Samantha!" Zenin began to rant, "You will not believe the imbeciles I've had to deal with today!"

Samantha sighed as focused all of her attention on the conversation she was having with the blonde. Unlike with texting, Samantha wasn't able to multitask whenever Zenin called as it was expected of her to fully participate in the conversation. Normally, this wasn't a problem as it always amused Samantha that Zenin just had the worst luck when it came to dealing with stupid people. Not to mention Zenin's intolerance of said people's existence doesn't quite work in her favor. Today, however, she wasn't that interested in her friend's misfortune. She pretended to listen for almost forty-five minutes before Zenin finally let her go.

"Jeez...." she sighed as she tossed her phone onto her bed. She glanced again at the year old game before finally caving in. She snatched the game box from its spot on the shelf and headed out to the living room where she left the Xbox One. "This better be worth it."

She turned on the console with her controller and popped the game in. There was still that subconscious voice telling her to stop what she was doing however, it was easily ignored.

At first, when the console booted up, it told her to insert a playable disc as the one she put in was, somehow, unreadable. This didn't make much sense to her, considering the game was still in a more or less new condition. She took out Assassin's Creed, waited a few minutes, and then put it back in. The same message appeared. She repeated this two more times before giving up momentarily.