Chapter 5

She didn't feel right, she felt as if maybe something was wrong. She needed to wake up, she knew that much, but she didn't know why. If she did, then she wasn't remembering it.

She could feel her body ache, the dull pain in her gut still was being acknowledged in her brain yet she could not wake up. There were no sounds, no indication that she was alone or with someone. What was happening? Was she...dead? Maybe dying...?

As thought seem sluggishly cross her mind, a sea of emotions surged through her and the darkness suddenly began to show a light. Images began to flash before her eyes, images that were familiar yet distant.

She saw herself with her friends, laughing with some appropriately green and yellow colored Rooks. She saw the late Grandmaster Starrick staring at her with an expression she did not like. There was Evie, looking young, sitting on the couch with a cup of tea. Henry Green was there too, reading a book that doubled as a projectile object for Evie to use. Jackie and Zenin were arguing, Christina was being her annoying self with the two, they were all happy.

Then she saw Jacob, and never in her life did Samantha ever feel such a pain before. She remembered when they met, how they grew to care for each other, how she adored his kindness and desire to protect others.

Then it struck her, the memory of that night. She remembered going to the ball, being dragged around by the Disraeli couple before Jacob left to gather their weapons. Her uneasy dance with Starrick, her forcing Jacob to help her get dressed, them confronting the horrible Templar in the vault, it was all coming back to her.

Then, as if she was reliving that memory, she felt where Starrick stole her life away. The knife entering her stomach, the feeling of it being pushed into her despite it already being deep within her gut. The pain, the sorrow, the memories....everything was coming and going.

"Don't you remember anything?" Samantha heard Zenin say, her voice cracking as tears rolled down her face. They were in the hospital, it was the day she woke up. "Anything, fucking anything!!"

"What are you talking about?" She asked, watching this scene just hurt. "Quit being so silly, people can't enter video games."

Samantha awoke with a sharp gasp and a stream of tears running down her cheeks. She did die, she really did. And yet, she still was alive. Somehow her dying had erased her memories of her time here and now, she was feeling like absolute shit. How could she forget? Why did she?

"Awake I see." Samantha glanced around, having not realized where she even was. From the looks of it, it was an old surgical room. She could smell the faint scent of blood and she had the most sickening feeling that she knew where she was. "Welcome to Lambeth Asylum, we had to make some last minute accommodations for you."

"Lambeth Asylum." She repeated, so this place was of some significance.

"Evie will be here soon, I've already informed her you'd be here and she seemed quite anxious to have you back," Samantha growled to herself, Jack wasn't in the room with her. From the slightly muffled sounds, she could guess that he was behind the door. She suspicion was confirmed when she heard him leave.

"I'm not as helpless as you think, Jack," Samantha muttered to herself. Think Sam, where is this hell hole might he have put me?

Samantha tried to think of where in the asylum she was, damn her stupidity for not finishing the game and its DLC. She knew Jacob was being held in the basement, at least that seemed like a pretty logical place to hide someone in her mind. Hell, she didn't know if this place had a basement.

It's an asylum. She reasoned as she stood up from the nasty floor. "Alright, what can I do.." she glanced at her wrists, surprised to see that her gauntlets were still with her. This led to some concern, why would he leave these with her? She checked them, making sure they were still functional. "What have you planned, Jack?"