5: Adam

"Thank you, and goodnight!" I announce, finishing my performance as the crowd of costumers burst into applause.
  My second night here was even more wonderful than the first. The restaurant is packed, just like Mr. Clearwater said.
  I step off the stage, leaving my guitar and sitting down at the table Clearwater reserved for me.
  A waitress steps up to the table seconds after I sit down.
  "You were great, Iva!" She smiles.
  "Thanks," I grin back at her.
  "I'll go on and put in what you ordered earlier." She says, stepping away. I nod, and sit back in silence.
  I look around at the people sitting at their tables, eating and laughing merrily amongst themselves.
"Mind if I join you?"
I look up to see a man standing at the edge of my table.
It's him. The man who keeps helping me out. The man who calls me "kid".
I raise an eyebrow. "How do you keep popping up?"
He laughs. "Let's just say I have an interest in talent. That's you, kid."
I roll my eyes. "Go on. Sit down."
He does so, pull out the chair across from me and sitting down.
  "You were really great tonight. Lucky you got a gig here, huh?" A huge smirk stretches across his face. He throws me a wink.
  I stare at him, and my mouth opens in disbelief.
  "It was you. You're Adam." I whisper. "Aren't you? You told Clearwater to check me out, didn't you?"
  His cheeky grin gets even wider. "Ya caught me, kid."
"But why?" I ask. "Why are you so worried about me."
"Don't ask." His eyes flash mysteriously. I tilt my head to the right, studying him with a faint smile.
  "You're very strange, Adam. But I owe you a great deal."
》。《
  "Thank you again for another wonderful night, Ms. Parks. Here is your salary for tonight." Mr. Clearwater hands me he money and I take it gratefully.
  "Thank you, sir." I say. He nods, then looks over at Adam, who was allowed to stay after closing time.
  "You know, Adam." Mr. Clearwater says, looking from him to me. "You'd prove to be quite a gentleman if you walked this beautiful young lady home on this cold night."
I laugh briefly and look at the floor before gathering up my guitar- which is already in its case.
"Don't worry, Mr. Clearwater. I'll be just fine in my own." I smile.
"Well," the old man smiles. "Goodnight, Iva. I'll see you tomorrow night."
"Goodnight, Mr. Clearwater." I say, waving as he walks out.
And now it's just Adam and I.
"Would it be okay if I did...?" Adam asks, turning to me. "Walk you home, I mean. It is awfully cold out and it's late-"
"That isn't necessary, Mr. -" I stop when I realize I don't know his last name.
"Driver," He finishes.
"Right- Mr. Driver." I nod.
"Please?" He smirks.
I adjust my grip on the handle of my case. "Oh, alright. I'm sure you're not some kind of murderer or anything. Even though you have been following me."
"I haven't been following you, Miss Parks." He smiles, following me out of the restaurant. I turn to lock the door behind us.
  "Well, you seem like a nice guy, Adam. And I'd consider it an honor to be killed by you." I joke. He laughs.
  "Well, thanks."
  "I'm this way," I say, pointing right. He nods, and we begin walking.
  "You know, I saw you perform last night, too." Adam says, breaking the silence. "That song you sang- the one about a past relationship- it was really beautiful. I could tell it meant a lot to you."
  I feel a huge lump develop in my throat.
  "Yeah.. It- It does." I say quietly.
  "Are you okay?" He asks, noticing my change of mood.
  "Yeah," I say quickly. "It's just still a touchy subject."
  "Oh.. I'm sorry.." He whispers.
  "No, no, it's fine- you're fine. Don't worry about it." I say, forcing a smile.
  I pull my thin flannel shirt closer as a cold wind blows through the streets. I feel Adam looking over at me as we walk.
  "Cold?" He asks.
  "I'm fine." I say quickly, not wanting to be an inconvenience.
  "You're shivering," He smiles, shrugging off his coat. "Here, take this."
  He hands the black coat to me, and I look up at him, taking it finally.
  "Thank you," I smile, putting the coat on one arm. I then try to put my left arm in, but my hand doesn't seem to want to go in.
  "Here, let me help," He says, holding the coat up to let me slip my arm in. I look at the ground and bite the inside of my cheek.
  "Thanks.." I say quietly.
  "You're welcome," He says, smiling.
  "I'm just.. up here..." I say, stopping at my apartment building. He nods, following me into the building.
  "Hello, Iva!" Mrs. Younger, my landlord, says as we walk in.
  "Hello, Mrs. Younger," I say to the old woman.
  "Brought a young man home with us, haven't we, Iva?" She smirks knowingly.
  "Oh, no, he's just walking me home, Mrs. Younger." I say, turning a deep shade of red. Adam chuckles.
  "I'm not one to take advantage of a young performer, m'am." He says to her.
  "I didn't think so," She says kindly. "You look like quite the gentleman."
  "Goodnight, Mrs. Younger," I say to her, grabbing Adam by the hand.
  "Had to get out of there," I say to Adam after we're around the corner. "If we didn't, she'd be talking to us all night."
  "She seems nice," Adam says.
  "She is." I nod as I press the elevator button.
  The door opens and we step in.
  "Going up?" Adam asks jokingly.
  "Why, yes, I am," I say, playing along. "Seventh floor, please, sir."
  "Of course, miss," Adam laughs, pressing the button labeled "7".
  Soon enough, we arrive at my floor, and I lead him to my apartment door.
  "Thank you.. for walking me.. home..." I say quietly.
  He smiles, stepping closer to me.
  "Anytime." He whispers.
  "I, uh.. I should probably.. Go on in.." My voice is barely audible.
  "Right, yeah," He says. "Probably.."
  "I'll see you soon?" I ask.
  "I think so." He smiles.
  "Good," I say, turning to unlock my door. I turn the knob and open it, turning back to him. "Goodnight, Adam."
  He smiles again. "Goodnight, kid."