9: Happily Ever

"Iva?" Adam asks from beside me on the couch. I look up from the TV and over at him.
  "Yes?" I answer. He pulls his arm-which was draped over my shoulders- back and shifts to look at me better.
  "I don't think it would be best if you went back to your apartment. He may know where you live. And if you're alone.. Who would know you were gone until far after the fact?" He says.
  "Then where do you propose I stay?" I ask, my eyebrows furrowing.
  "Well.." He says. "You could stay here."
  I stare at him, my stare soon becoming a smile. "You want me to stay here?"
  He nods shyly. "If you want to. I just want you to be.. safe."
"Are you sure?"
"Absolutely."

》。《

"There are clean sheets on my bed. I'll take the couch if you want to sleep in there." Adam says, pointing to his bedroom.
"That really isn't necessary." I say shyly.
"I'm a gentleman, remember?" He chuckles, handing me a pillow. "There are extra blankets in the closet to the right of the bathroom if you get cold during the night."
  I smile, taking the pillow. "Thank you, Adam. I really owe you for this."
"You don't owe me anything." He says, kissing my forehead softly.
"Goodnight, Adam." I smile, walking to the bedroom.
"Goodnight, kid."

》。《

"So now ya fuckin' him, huh?"
I look behind me. Alex.
"How did you find me?" I ask, starting to panic.
"I told ya." Alex sneers. "I'll always find ya. You're mine. Ya can't escape from me, baby."
"I am not yours." I say, gritting my teeth.
"Ya think you're his?!" He asks, his eyes full of fury.
"I'm more his than I was ever yours." I growl.
"Ya should've kept him outta this, baby." He says calmly. "'Cuz now, I'm coming for him."
Suddenly, I see the flash of Adam's body lying on the sidewalk, a bullet hole through his skull. And blood.. So much blood..
"NO!" I scream, filled with raging fury and utter despair. "ADAM! ADAM!"
...
"Iva!"
I feel my body being shaken gently.
"Iva, please, wake up! Please.."
My eyes jolt open. Adam sits on my bed, staring down at me.
"Iva, my god.. What happened?" He asks worriedly. I sit up, and as I touch my face, I realize I have been crying.
"Just.. Just a nightmare.." I say quietly.
"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks, raising his eyebrows and bending down a bit to be eye level with me.
  I look up into his big, brown eyes. The image of his dead body flashes across my mind. I shudder, closing my eyes quickly.
"No.." I say, shaking my head. "No."
  He stays quiet, looking at me intently. "Iva..."
"Will you stay with me?" I ask quietly. "I don't.. I don't want to be alone again. I don't want to let him in.."
"Of course, kid."  He whispers.
  I move off of the bed, careful not to make eye contact with him. My nerves are on edge, and I'm not sure why.
"Iva.." Adam says softly from the bed.
"I'm so scared, Adam.." I whisper.
"Come here." He commands gently, calling me to him. I do as he asks, walking over and sitting with him in he bed.
"I'm going to stay with you, Iva." He says, reaching up to stroke my cheek with his thumb. "I'm not going to let him hurt you."
"I can't do this.." My head is spinning. How did he even find me?
"You're strong, Iva. You're going to get through this. And I'm going to be here with you." He leans back against the pillows, motioning for me to do the same. I crawl over to him, letting him wrap his arms around me. I rest my head on his chest. The soft, steady beat of his heart calms me, letting me know things will be okay.
His arms cradle me, holding me close to him, protecting me from the terrible things of the world. I follow his breath- inhale as he inhales, exhale as he exhales..
And soon, the slow rhythms lull me to a deep, peaceful sleep.