One

I was getting tired of seeing hospital walls. The wallpaper in the corner of the waiting room was peeling and fading. They seemed to close just a little more as I moved rooms. I've been to each floor, waiting for what seemed like days. I would do anything to wait and not have to hear the dreadful three words, "We lost her."

     I've been waiting for El to get better for almost six years now. The rest of my friends stopped visiting and sending flowers and balloons. Even though she did everything to save them, they gave up on her. They wished me luck, yet I had a slight feeling that they thought she was going to die. The feeling of death began to creep around me too at some point but I had to shake it off, for El.

     The doctors told me, El was sick with brain cancer. Her powers caused a malfunction with her nervous system and her brain went into crash mode. She wasn't in a coma, the doctors told me, but a trance. I thought it was the Upside Down. I've also considered the 'state of mind' as she claimed when she told me her story after saving me and my friends. I was praying and hoping that she would stay alive and come out of the trance, I needed El in my life. Forever and always.

     El began to feel sick right after she found me. She appeared at my house one day and it was like it was a dream. All I wanted was to see Eleven again and there she was standing at the bottom of my basement steps. She cried harder than I had ever seen her cry before. Her hands were shaky and she only had her dress on, the same one she had on when she killed the Demogorgon. That day I loved El more than anything. I trusted her so much and I felt that she trusted me too. After suffocating hugs and helping her change clothes, we introduced her to my family. I had already explained her and the situation to my parents, so they understood that El was extremely important to me. I gave her my room and I moved all of my things down to the basement. She seemed to adjust quickly to her surroundings within a span of two months.

El became more comfortable with me and would tell me stories and secrets of the lab. I still worry that the headquarters and members are still lurking around Hawkins. She told me one story that really scared me. I loved her so much, she was just so brave and so selfless. Her story, extremely descriptive, was when the bad men were forcing her into the enclosed space. Dark. She told me that she thought she would never see the light again. El told me that when they did it again she fought back. She's just so brave, I couldn't imagine anyone trying to hurt her. As she's telling me these stories I watch the way her eyebrows twitch and the way she seems so shy, but I know that she's a fighter.

Before she went into her trance, I would visit her in the hospital. I brought her Eggos of course along with books so I could read her stories of heroes and adventures. She loved them. Even though I loved her with all of my heart seeing her on these hard tables makes me cry. I don't let her see me cry though, because I know she will protect me at all costs and attack if she sees that I'm in pain. The doctors tell me that she's gotten weaker over the past year, but I give her all of my hope knowing that she can fight it off.

I noticed that sometimes Eleven would have these unexplainable moments. She would wander around muttering to herself. Her eyes sometimes would be extremely bloodshot. Her hair, a little bit longer and curlier, was always flat to her scalp. She also had nosebleeds constantly. I didn't know how to help her, I just had to watch it happen.

Throughout El's time at the hospital she's been the same, until her trance began. Before her trance, they were giving her medicine. She seemed to react differently than other patients have in recent years. I tried to explain to them that she had been experimented on at the Hawkins Lab, since now the whole town knew about the incident. They were aware and there have been some bad riots in the past four years. Though, the demogorgon hasn't been back since El defeated it. I felt that El was connected to the monster in some way. El would tell me that when the doctors weren't in the room she would shut off the equipment and not take the medicine. She told me that she can heal herself, since her brain cancer was different from a normal person's. She would tell me that the medicine was the same kind of medicine her experimenters used to defeat her pain whenever she was overworked at the lab. I believed her and would do anything to protect El from getting hurt or hurting herself. Everyday she told me something new about the lab and her experiences. Although, every time I tried to ask her about 01-010 she would fidget and become extremely nervous. It was like she was hiding something from me.