Four

Hearing those words peeled me from the stance I was in with Eleven. I had to leave her room... to see Lucas. Traitor. Heart breaker. He  practically killed Eleven. Turning away from the stationary doctor, I rotated my position to see Eleven once again.
     "I'm sorry, El," I whispered in her ear, softly. I wasn't leaving her forever. I would never leave her. I let my apology hang in the air like a soft blanket of clouds.
      Walking out of her room, I took the elevator. While waiting to reach the first floor, the lobby floor, I paced the small compartment. I couldn't confront him for all the wrong he's done, but it was all I could think about.

     "She's gone, Mike! Leave her!", Lucas shouted at Mike in the lobby at 3 am, approximately 5 minutes after the news of the approaching cancer.
    "Do you know what's she done for us? She BROUGHT WILL BACK!", Mike screamed, his throat rough. Warm tears streamed down his face. He quickly wiped them away with his torn jacket sleeve.
    "Fine, Mike. Fine," Lucas brought his hands next to his waist. Mike waited for an answer. The short minute felt like years.
    "Lucas. Lucas, what," Mike's lower lip began to tremble. He couldn't lose his best friend. Mike reached out for Lucas's shoulder. Lucas refused.
     "Goodbye, Mike," Lucas says as he hauls his camouflage backpack over his right shoulder.
Mike runs after Lucas. Lucas slams the swinging door of the Hawkins Hospital. The brisk winter weather was right around the corner, so the air still lingered with stale, decaying leaves.
     Lucas was the only one that visited Mike and Eleven that night. He wanted to deliver the news about how the rest of the group was giving up on Eleven and Mike's stretched hope.

    The elevator door banged open. I jumped. The memory had its place in his heart. It had been El and him for 3 years strong. I grew to love her more, each and everyday. We taught each other about the world, but little did Eleven know, she was my whole world.