Chapter Three

“Are you having fun?” Makoto asked, black eyes staring into mine.

“Mhm,” I chuckled. We had gone to a small restaurant for dinner, and ended up talking for two hours. After we had realized what time it was, Makoto had taken me to the park, where we currently walked. My hand rested on his arm, and I smiled at the beautiful lights.

“The park lights up like this every night,” he said, watching me as I looked around. “Do you like it?”

“It's beautiful,” I sighed, happily.

“Want to see something even better?” He asked with a mischievous smirk.

“Sure,” I nodded, hesitantly.

He led me away from the path running through the park, and made his way farther into the trees. “M-Makoto, where are we going?” I asked, not liking the way the lights from the path behind us completely disappeared, leaving us in pitch black. I hated the dark, so I wasn't surprised when my body began shaking—not to mention the awful memories that came with them.

“We're here,” he murmured, helping me onto the ground by a large tree.

“What are we doing? I-I'm not really fond of the dark.”

“It'll only take a minute, and I'll be with you the entire time,” he reassured me, grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

“What is it?” I asked.

“We have to be quiet,” he whispered.

We stayed silent for several minutes, my anxiety growing more each second. Calm down, Levy, it's alright. Makoto is right beside you.

“There!” He exclaimed in a hushed voice. Through the darkness, I could see dozens of small lights beginning to emerge.

“Fireflies!” I gasped. Magnolia was always lit up fairly well at night, so it was rare to get a good view of the glowing insects. They flew around us, their lights dancing and swirling as they went about their business, oblivious to us. I wish Gajeel could see this. I shook the thought from my mind. You are on a date, Levy! Get Gajeel out of your head!

“Ready to head back?” Makoto asked, cutting my fascinated staring short.

“So soon?”

“We've been out here watching them for almost an hour,” he chuckled.

“Really?” It hadn't seemed that long. I had been completely absorbed in the beauty around me.

“Let's go.” He held my hand, helping me through the darkness and back to the lit paths.

“Thank you for such a fun night,” I told him. We had reached the gates to Fairy Hills, and I was almost sad that the night was over.

“Thanks for going out with me,” he smiled, scratching the back of his head. “We should do this again sometime.”

“O-ok,” I nodded, blushing.

“Great! See you later?”

“Definitely.”

Before leaving, he kissed me on the cheek. “Goodbye, Levy.”

“G-goodbye,” I stuttered, watching him go. Face as red as Erza's hair, I returned to my dorm room.

~Gajeel~

“Tch. Damned shrimp,” I grumbled, once again taking a late-night walk to avoid sleep. Lily had gone to bed over an hour before, so I had nothing to do. I hadn't seen her around the guildhall that entire day, so I couldn't help but wonder where she had disappeared to. Her annoying teammates were there, so why wasn't she?