Chapter Twenty-Two

~Levy~

“Levy,” Droy's voice cut through the haze of my mind, easing me back into consciousness. “Levy, wake up.”

“Are you two okay?” I asked, seeing both Jet and Droy were awake. I was propped against a cold stone wall, but had no shackles or restraints. Neither did Jet or Droy.

“Yeah,” Jet smiled, letting out a relieved breath. “We woke up just after we got here. You've only been asleep for about thirty minutes.”

“That's good,” I said. “Have any idea where we are?”

“Not a clue. Jet thinks we're near the cathedral though, because we heard the bells signaling eight o'clock a few minutes ago. They were pretty loud, so I'm betting he's right.”

“So he didn't use one of those transport lacrima, that's good. If we're still in Magnolia, it will be easier for someone to find us, or for us to escape.” I thought about the different buildings that were located near the cathedral, and which we could possibly be in.

“How are you feeling?” Jet asked.

“Don't worry about me,” I reassured him. “I'm just frustrated that this keeps happening.”

“I could see why,” he chuckled. “This is only the second time in a month you've been kidnapped.”

“You make it sound like I make a hobby of it or something,” I grinned.

“If it is, it's really a hobby you should drop,” Droy said, trying to remain serious, though his efforts soon failed and he laughed with Jet.

“I'm glad to see you're all in good spirits,” Nathaniel said, entering the room.

“What do you want with Levy?” Jet snapped as he and Droy jumped in front of me. I stood, glaring at Nathaniel from between them.

“I want her to cast that spell for me once more,” he said.

“You know I can't do that,” I told him, moving past Jet and Droy. “Only one person can have that magic, so it's impossible.”

“I don't want you to cast it right now. You see, Gajeel Redfox is on his way here as we speak, so I'll soon be able to fix our little problem. Once he's out of the way, you will cast the spell for me.”

“You can't kill Gajeel,” I said, smirking. “He's much stronger than you'll ever be.”

“Under normal circumstances, I'm sure he is,” Nathaniel admitted, surprising me, “however, I have a trick up my sleeve.”

“I doubt it,” I scoffed. “Gajeel can handle anything you throw at him.”

“Oh, I don't think he can,” Nathaniel grinned, grabbing my chin with his hand. “I think I know his greatest weakness.”

“And what's that?” My mind immediately went to his motion sickness, but I didn't think that's what he was talking about.

“You, Levy McGarden,” he told me. “He'll go to any lengths to protect you—even if it means sacrificing his own life.”

“No, he wouldn't. He'll know you won't kill me because you need me, so there will be nothing keeping him from taking you down.”

“Maybe so,” Nathaniel said, smiling again, “but there will be no death threats coming from me. Actually, I won't even be his opponent. That's why I'm so confident about my victory.”

“You aren't making any sense,” I frowned. If Nathaniel doesn't fight Gajeel, who will?

“The one fighting Gajeel will be you,” he said. My shocked face caused him to laugh and release me, walking back towards the door.