Chapter Seventeen

An update?!?! I know, FINALLY!!

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to FairyTailFan101, who has been incredibly supportive of all of my works, and who has been extremely patient with me while I took my good 'ole time posting this next chapter! Thanks for everything, and I hope you like this chapter! :D <3 <3

~Gajeel~

“DAMN IT!!” I cursed, punching the ground over and over, only stopping when my bloodied knuckles hurt too badly to continue. “Idiot!” I had no idea what had come over me. I would never hurt Levy, so why did I— “ARGH!”

As though it would help me forget, I continued running, and eventually found myself outside of Magnolia completely. I collapsed on the ground in order to catch my breath, and felt the anger towards myself begin to grow. I thought I had put the past behind me, and had finally moved on from what had happened during the war between Fairy Tail and Phantom Lord. Images of what I had done to Levy and her teammates still haunted me, but they were easy to put at the back of my mind when I was around the Shrimp. “But now I've messed everything up.”

“It's better this way.”

“Shut the hell up,” I growled, trying to ignore that annoying voice in my head. That voice is the dark magic Levy said entered my body. It's to blame for what I just did to the Shrimp!

“Now, now,” the voice said, and I could feel its smirk, “you're the one who allowed me to control you, so I'm not the only one to blame here.”

“What exactly are you?” I asked,wondering how magic could speak to me, and take control of my mind and body.

Long ago, a foolish group of Zeref's followers sought to create a magic which mimicked that of their precious Zeref. In the end, they succeeded in creating a type of magic, but it was far too powerful for any of them to control—as a result, they were all killed.”

“And that was you?”

“It was.”

“So why am I not dead, if you're inside my head?”

You're stronger than any of the others. You have a strong desire to protect that blue-haired wizard, so your mind hasn't been so easy for me to grab a hold of in order to take control of the rest of your body. Although, from that little slip earlier, I now have a good idea of how to gain that control.”

“Not going to happen,” I growled, furious that this thing could see into my mind.

That girl is important to you, isn't she?” The voice sneered in my head. “I can tell simply by the way you reacted to hurting her that you're in love with her.”

“No,” I snapped, sitting up, “the Shrimp's just my guild mate.”

“You can't lie to me, Gajeel, I'm in your head, remember?” I could practically hear the magic's snicker. “I can feel what you feel, and I know what you think. I can also see your past.” My eyes shot up as the voice continued, chills running down my spine. “What you've done to that girl can never be forgiven. It's absolutely delightful how much sorrow that causes you every time you look at her. It makes me want to take control of you even more—so I can experience that sorrow first-hand as I use your body to extinguish that annoyingly bright light in her eyes permanently.”

“Bastard!” I shouted, jumping to my feet. The voice howled with laughter inside my head, and I could feel its darkness snake around me.

“Getting angry only fuels my desires, Gajeel. The more you fight against me, the more I will enjoy taking you over. And when I do, that little wizard of yours will be mine.”