Chapter Twenty-One

~Gajeel~

“Damn,” I cursed, rubbing my eyes as I regained consciousness. After letting that damned magic take over, I didn't remember anything. Looking around, I noticed I was in that same warehouse from before, except it looked trashed. There were holes in the walls, part of the ceiling was missing, and Dax was nowhere to be seen.

“Hey, what the hell did you do?” I snapped, directing my question to the magic.

“I did what you wanted—I fought Dax,” it answered, simply.

“Yeah, well, where'd he go?”

“He's taken care of. That's all you need to know.”

“I'm tired of your vague-ass answers! You used my body to do it, so tell me what it was!”

“I devoured him, if you must know,” it sighed, impatiently.

“You what?!” I nearly fell over. I leaned against a surviving pillar for support, a cold sweat breaking out all over my body as a revolting feeling began settling in my stomach.

Don't get so bent out of shape,” it chuckled, “it's not like you ate him. I absorbed him into me, stealing his magic energy.”

“How the hell'd you do that?” I asked, not feeling reassured.

Just as it sounds. While I do not have the ability to steal magical abilities, I can absorb a wizard's body and take their magic energy. He has become one with me, so I don't think you'll have to worry about him any longer.”

“How can you do that using my body? It's not like I can absorb people,” I frowned.

Yes, but you aren't exactly you while I'm in control. My magic simply takes the form of your body for now since you're my vessel.”

“That's my point,” I snapped, still not getting it. “You're using my body, so how did you absorb him? Is he somehow in my body now or something?”

Not at all. I'm sure you've noticed the extremities of myself which surround you when my presence is strong in you. I used those. I wouldn't want your body to accidentally gain any of my victims' magic energy, so I absorb them outside of your body.”

“Thanks for that,” I said, disgusted. “So, Dax is really dead.”

Isn't that what you wanted?

“Yeah.” I just hated that I had to turn to the very magic he had put inside me to defeat him.

“You're forgetting it wasn't Dax who summoned me, but your precious Shrimp. She is the reason I'm here.

Ignoring it, I made my way out of the warehouse. My body ached all over from my fight. I need to find Nathaniel. If he really does have someone spying on Levy, she may be in trouble. I need to find him and figure out who the hell his spy is!

Since the last place I saw him was Magnolia, that's where I would go. I would just avoid being spotted by anyone from the guild. I wanted to follow this lead before reporting it to Master Makarov. Sorry, Levy, but I can't come back to Fairy Tail yet.

~Levy~

“Are you sure you should be out like this?” Jet asked. He and Droy had been following me as I walked around Magnolia.

“Sitting still will make me feel worse,” I said. “I want to feel like I'm actually doing something to help Gajeel.”

“You won't be helping him any if you hurt yourself more. He'll just feel bad when he gets back,” Jet told me. He had apologized for getting so angry before, and had agreed to help me find Gajeel as a way to make up for it.