Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

Ticking time

They had a long way to go before they would reach the castle, so Zander and Arthur stopped by a lake to give the horses a rest and some water.

Zander jumped down from his white horse and took the little girl gently off. He looked down at her and felt sorry for her as he laid her down on the soft green grass. Zander checked her breathing to find out it was very slow and shallow.

Her dress was torn to shreds, her face, arms, and legs were covered with blood and the little girl's back had a long gash from the Captain's sword. Both Zander and Arthur were trying everything they could to help her. They needed to prepare the little girl so she would survive the long trip back to the castle.

Zander took his shirt off reveling his nicely tone body and began tearing it up into strips. He then wrapped the strips of cloth around the child's cuts to try to slow down the bleeding.

Arthur ran down to the lake and filled his goat skin up with water, then ran back to the girl and Zander.

Zander sat her up in his arm and gave her a little water with his other hand, hoping that she would wake up, but she didn't. Zander laid her back down on the soft grass, stood up and turned to get the horses.

The little girl's eyes flickered open and she reached out and grabbed the bottom of his pant leg as he passed by her.

He stopped and looked down at her. Her eyes were barely open, but she was awake. She let go of his pant leg and Zander knelt down next to her and looked into her eyes.

"Thank you Zander," she softly whispered.

Her voice was soft and very weak, but Zander heard every word she spoke.

"You're still alive! Hang in there, sweetheart. We are almost to the castle. Just stay awake and keep talking to me," Zander said very worried.

Zander was so happy that she was still alive and speaking.

Zander spoke to Arthur softly but urgently, "Arthur, get the horses quickly!"

Arthur immediately ran and gathered the horses as fast as he could. Arthur helped Zander place the little girl on the back of the white horse. Once the girl was safely on Zander's horse, Arthur got on his horse and Zander gently got on behind the girl.

They knew that if they could get to the castle, the king's doctor, Hector, would be able to save her, if anyone could, that is. Hector was the best doctor in the kingdom. So Zander, Arthur and the little girl rode off towards the castle as fast as they could.

Zander, the little girl, and Arthur road up to the castle courtyard. The sun was going down, but there was a little daylight still lingering over the hills and across the countryside.

Zander and Arthur didn't care that all eyes were on them and they didn't notice who was waiting for them, King Victor. King Victor made his way to the bottom of a long staircase that led to the castle courtyard.

He was dressed in the finest robes, and wore a crown that sparkled in the sunlight. He was waiting for a report, but all that Zander and Arthur could think about was the girl.

They rode right up to the front of the courtyard where the king stood waiting. Zander didn't even acknowledge the King's presence as he carefully lowered the little girl from his horse. As soon as he moved her off the horse she groaned in pain and frantically wrapped her arms tightly around Zander's neck and curled up close to his chest.

Zander ran right past the King and up the staircase, through the long hallway and straight to the doctor's room. As they ran past the King, the little girl looked at him and he could see the pain in her eyes.