Chapter 3

CHAPTER THREE

A new home

 A strange feeling came across the young girl. A beam of light blinded her as she opened her eyes. Everything was quiet and as she looked around, she noticed she was in a strange room. It was the biggest room she had ever seen.

All of a sudden it hit her. It felt like she had just been hit by lightning. The last thing she remembered was running through a forest with a man swinging a sword at her. In shock, she bolted straight up into a seated position on the bed as everything started coming back to her.

Her eyes were wide open now, her hands clenched into fists while her fingers were wrapped tightly around the bed sheet. Sweat began rolling down her face, dripping onto the silk bedspread.

Zander jumped, wide awake, immediately syncing the movement on the bed. He smiled when he saw the young girl was finally awake. He leaned in and put his hand on her shoulder letting her know that he was still with her.

It took the girl a moment to realize that there was a hand on her shoulder. She jumped away and scooted to the other side of the bed with her feet facing Zander. By then she was shaking. She focused her eyes on the man, she knew she had seen before but she couldn't remember who he was.

Then she thought back to the very last thing she remembered before she fell into the long deep sleep. Zander's face; that was the very last thing she remembered. She was so relieved to see Zander that she jumped into his arms, buried her head into his shoulder and cried. She had never been so scared in her life, and there was nobody left in this world that she cared about, except Zander. Before she saw Zander on his white horse walking into her village, she had thought that she was the only one left on the earth. But when she saw him, she knew there was still hope.

All of the noise woke Arthur up making him jump. He had been napping on a nearby chair. He looked at Zander and the girl.

He smiled and said, "Good morning. It's about time you woke up."

Then she spoke for the first time. "Why am I'm so hungry? May I please get something to eat?" She cringed as she started to move around.

"Ow, I hurt all over!" She said as her tummy rumbled.

Arthur ran down the stairs to get some food and locate a maid to help the young girl get changed into the dress that Zander had the seamstress make especially for her.

The young girl wiped her eyes and looked up at Zander. "What happened? How did I end up here? Not that I don't like it here, but all I can remember is him," she said, looking over at Hector who was standing by the door.

"All I remember is that he was hurting me and then everything went black. What happened to me, Zander?" She asked as she looked at him.

"Well, I really don't know the whole story, but you were hurt pretty bad and I brought you up here and you have been asleep for almost two full months," Zander said, feeling very sorry for her.

"I was...well, I'm just happy to see you're up," Zander said smiling.

"What does that mean?" She asked as she looked suspiciously at Zander.

Arthur came running up the stairs with a silver tray full of food in his hands and two maids followed close behind him. They had a blue and silver, with a hint of gold, dress in their hands.

The two maids stood at the side of the bed and one of them spoke. "Alright, young lady, let's get started." The maid who had just spoken looked over at Zander, Arthur and Hector and then she looked over at the door.