Part 4

Alex's POV

"We're going to the CDC" I look at Dad as he talks.

"What's that?" I ask.

"It's a place where we're hoping we can get some help for Jim" he says with hope in his words.

"Is Jim going to be a monster too?" I ask.

Dad sighs and rubs his forehead with his hand. "Hopefully not sweetie, but we never know" he purses his lips in a line.

"Come on now" he ushers me out of the RV where all is kids had to stay. Jim was in the bed and he talked to himself, it was pretty scary.

"Carl, Lori, Carol, Sofia, Alex, and I will go in Carol's Cherokee, the rest of you have cars and the RV" Dad announces.

"We're not coming" I look over and see Morales talking. Tears well up in my eyes as I look over at them. More people we know, probably going to their own deaths.

While Dad, and Shane talk to them Carl, Sofia and I hug both of the other kids. The girl gives Sofia her doll, and we all shed a few tears saying goodbye.

"Let's go" Mom says places a hand on mine and Carl's back.

As we get into the car I decide to sit in the trunk where you can climb the seat to get to.

"Alex. I don't want you sitting back there" Mom says.

"Mom, there's no point in having a seatbelt if there are no laws anymore. The worlds dead" I say coldly.

Mom just looks at me shocked, and nods her head before sitting back into her seat. I sit in the back watching as we slowly left camp.

My arms resting loosely around my legs as I watch outside the window. Sofia and Carl do the same, but from the seats. Carl, and Sofia don't have knives, they're too scared.

I was scared at first, but then Daryl showed me how to use it safely, and I wasn't scared anymore. Daryl would be a good dad, he's just mean to other people a lot.

Mom starts to talk about the Grand Canyon, but I've heard the story so many times I try not to act annoyed as Carl pretends to not know the story. I scoff silently to myself.

The light slowly starts to fade outside, and soon enough it's dark. The cars come to a stop, and we're in front of a giant building. "Woah" I admire it.

"Let's go" Dad says shutting off the car engine.

We all get out me having to climb over the seats to get to a door. Instantly I smell something gross and it fills the air. "Ew" I whisper pulling my shirt over my nose and mouth.

I look around me and see the dead people, and monsters that scatter across the ways to the buildings door. As we near the door it looks like there's no way to get in.

Fear builds up inside of me and I look around into the darkness. Mom is clutching onto Carl, and I'm left all by myself. Hugging myself to try and calm down until I hear Dad talking.

"The camera. It moved" he says.

"It didn't move Rick! This is a dead end" Shane says.