14

Alex's POV

We had a ceremony for Dale, but all I could feel was guilt when I stared at the grave. Tears pooled out of my eyes and I thought it was going to be a never ending stream.

"Carl, do you think everything's going to go back to normal and there aren't going to be any monsters left?" I look over at him, and he too has tears in his eyes.

"No. Sofias dead, so is the world. Nothing is changing anytime soon" he says coldly, making my hope shatter.

I was silent after that, the rest of the day consisted of me moping around and being bored. I couldn't even find Daryl to hang out with.

Dad had given Carl and I guns to make sure we were safe and told us we could protect ourselves if we needed to. It was a weird feeling, having something heavy attached to your leg, but it also made me feel important.

Night neared as we all stood on Hershel's porch, T-Dog came up out of breath. "Randall's gone, he must've slipped the chains" he heaves.

"Rick! He came up behind me and took my piece. This guys armed and dangerous we need to find him" Shane yells.

"Alright. Shane and I will search the far side and Glenn and Daryl you search the woods near us" Dad ordered everybody, but I couldn't help but feel like something wasn't right.

"What do we do?" I ask with Carl at my side.

"You stay put and keep mom safe" Dad points behind us before he takes off into the night with everyone.

"Come on kids, let's go upstairs. You can read the comics" Carol sweetly ushers us into a room and we thank her quietly as we search the room, but mostly look out the window.

"Something's not right Alex. I can feel it, in here" Carl points to his heart.

"Me too, maybe we could go check it out. Maybe we'll find the Randall guy ourselves!" I suddenly feel like this was a mission I had to do.

"We'll be heroes! Let's go" Carl whispers as we sneak out the window and down a ladder that was propped against it.

"It's kinda dark out" I whisper, and my heart starts beating faster as I look into the dark, monsters could be lurking and trying to get me.

"I think that's them" Carl points out into the distance. A gun shot goes off and there's lots of screaming. We start running towards the noise and come across Dad and...Shane on the ground.

"Dad?" Carl croaks from besides me. I see what looks like Shane start to get up and Carl raises his gun as I do the same. I start crying alongside my brother, a man that was family to us was now dead and was trying to kill us. He's just another monster.

"It's not what it seems" Dad tries.

Carl shoots the bullet that kills the monster version of Shane as Dad runs to us and hugs us tightly. "Did walkers get him?" Carl asks.

Dad was about to answer when we heard growling. I turned and looked and saw the field was flooding with monsters, and they were closing in on us.

"Move! Move!" In hushed whispers Dad ushered us along.

This was going to be a long night.