12

Alex's POV

"Be safe out there Dad" I look up to him watching as Glenn, and him loaded up a car to go get Hershel.

"Always, give me a hug" he opens his arms.

I smile and lovingly give him the best bear hug I can manage before we release and smile weakly at each other.

I stand there until the car leaves, praying that they will be okay.

There's nothing to do on this farm, it's so boring. Just animals making loud noises, and a long grass field that sits plainly across the land.

Maybe Carl is doing something fun, or maybe I could go see what Daryl's doing. I could tell he really wanted to find Sofia, I did too, but I couldn't go look.

I approach the blue tent that Daryl has set far from everyone, and hit it twice. "Knock, knock"

"Whose there?" I hear a muffled voice.

"Me, can I come in?" I ask not wanting to disturb his privacy.

"Well, me I think I'm still in here, but ya are welcome to"

I smile at Daryl's word choice and enter a very messy tent. Clothes scattered around the tent, and his crossbow laying on the floor next to some broken arrows.

Carefully mazing my way through everything, and successfully not stepping on anything I sit down next to Daryl.

"Daryl?" I look over to him.

"Hm?" He mumbles not making eye contact, but focusing on a green arrow.

"I'm scared..." I look down.

I can feel his eyes on me, as his body position shifts, and turns to me.

"Whas' wrong, Alex" he says, he always uses my name now, but he still calls Carl, kid.

"I...just, Sofia died, and..." I bite my lip concentrating solely on my hands "I think that I'll die too..." I say quietly, speaking the truth.

"I won't let nothin' happen to ya" I look up to see a determined look on Daryl's face as he nudges me.

"Promise?" I hold out my pinky.

"Promise" he wraps his pinky around mine, and shakes his head a small grin on his face.

-

Dad still isn't back yet and Carl and I can't find Mom, we think she left.

"But, how could she just leave like that? It's stupid!" I throw my hands out in front of me angrily.

"She could be...hiding?" Carl suggests.

"Are you that stupid Carl, she went after them!" I yell, making him shut up.

For a 11 year old I have a loud scream, and so does Carl when he uses his.

Quietly we eat dinner downstairs with everyone else, and wait for Mom to return, when Shane leaves to go find her.

He's gone crazy, he's always angry and never wants to talk to us anymore. He sucks.

I look out the window to see headlights come into my vision, and I waste no time in rushing outside awaiting for people to exit the vehicle.

The cold air brushes across the back of my neck and I shiver, but smile once I see my Mom get out of the car. "Mom!" I rush up to her embracing her in a big hug.

"Where's Rick?" She says hopefully looking around while hugging me back.

"He's not back yet, are you okay?" I hear Carl say from behind me.

"You lied to me!" Mom yells while pushing Shane backwards.

"I had to do what was best for you, and the baby!" He yells back and everything goes quiet.

My Mom, she's having another baby. It should be a happy thing, but there aren't any doctors anymore. I heard the explosions, and the cities were over run. This isn't going to end well.

"You're pregnant? Why didn't you tell us?" I say backing away from her and to Carl's side, his expression a mix of confusion, and hurt one that mimicked mine.

"I-"

"Let's get you inside" Andrea buds in and leads everyone inside.

Carl, and I take a seat on the comfortable couch that sinks when you sit in it, and wait for Mom to come in. When she does we both look at her, questions filling my mind.

There's a million things I want to know, we never got to learn in school about it yet. Did she eat it, no that's stupid, but possible?

"Did you eat it?" I ask first.

She shakes her head and laughs looking up to me "No, I didn't eat it...I created it" she says putting her hands on her stomach.

"Oh, you know...this baby is going to have bad ass older twins" I say nudging Carl.

"Language Alex!" Mom scolds a slight laugh hidden behind her words.

"What? Daryl says those words all the time, and you don't care, is there something wrong about the word...ass?" I whisper in on the last part.

"Yes sweetie, Daryl's an adult, you shouldn't say things like that...yet" she whispers in on the last part making me laugh.

"Big brother Carl...I like it" Carl says while flipping his hat upwards.

"I think Big sister Alex sounds better" I say while crossing my arms, and playfully glare at him.

"Kids, let's go to bed, it's getting late. I'll wait for your father" Mom says guiding us upstairs.

I look around the old room, where two beds sit on opposite sides of the room. Beige curtains hang from above the windows, and lamps sit on small tables near the beds.

"Good night Mom" Carl and I both say while holding our blankets.

"Night guys, I love you two so much" she says while cupping the side of my cheek, and rubbing her thumb across it, smiling.

I hope dad will come home soon. This feels like the nights when Mom would kick Dad out and he'd have to sleep at my uncles house. I wish uncle Jeffrey was here, maybe we'll see him again, or he's...dead.

I sigh thinking of the world now and roll onto my left side, before falling asleep.