10

Alex's POV

About a week has gone by since the accident, and Hershel says I can be up and moving today. I'm super excited because although I love spending time with Mom, and Dad they get super boring, thinking I'm going to break if they touch me.

I look excitedly up at Hershel as he holds his hands out to my little ones. "Ready little one?" The old man smiles sweetly at me gently holding my hands.

"Yes!"

He makes sure I don't hurt myself and slowly, but surely I make it to my feet. I wobble at first since I haven't been up and around lately.

I smile to myself looking down at my feet and then to Hershel's grey eyes when I balance myself.

"Take it easy now, don't do anything too crazy. I know how kids are" he says while smiling at me.

I decide to go see if I can find anyone to hang out with that hasn't seen me in Hershel's house.

I spot Carl stealing a gun from what looks like Daryl's motorcycle and then running off into the woods. Carl got the sheriffs hat, and I got dads badge.

Quietly I find him throwing rocks at the monster that was stuck in the muddy water.

"What are you doing?" I place my hands on my hips and raise a quizzical eyebrow at my brother.

"Practicing, I want to kill one, like you did" he says plainly, throwing yet another rock.

"We shouldn't be out here doing this" I tell him looking around nervously.

"Why not?" He looks over his shoulder and up at me.

"They're dangerous, and I don't want to get hurt again"

"Alex...we were both shot. Get over it" he says angrily.

My face twitches up feeling like I was slapped, and I take a step back before I get angry.

"Carl, you didn't have to get surgery. I was in that bed for a week! I almost died, you didn't. You woke up and got to leave the next day!" I scream wincing when I feel a burning sensation letting me know to stop yelling.

"Alex! Are you okay?" He says concerned standing up next to me.

"I'll be okay...can we just go now?" I plead while looking down at the stuck monster.

"Yea...after I kill it" he says and I hear a clicking sound of the gun in his hands.

I stand behind him waiting for him to shoot it, mostly because I hadn't seen one that couldn't attack me. It was weird, and disgusting. It was a person like me, but now it's rotting.

The monster gets unstuck and crawls and tries to grab onto Carl's leg. I scream, and stomp on the monsters arm freeing my brother before we link arms and run back to the farm.

We hunch over and pant, feeling like my chest was going to explode. Heavy thumping fills my ears, and when I look around I see black spots. This is not good, Hershel said to take it easy and now here I am running and yelling like I'm okay.

Suddenly it gets to be too much and I black out.

Carl's POV

That was super scary, and now I think my heart is going to come out of my chest. Why can't I just be strong? Everyone else is. I hear a thud and I see Alex drop on the grass next to me.

My eyes widen and I tuck the gun behind my pants and under my shirt before I get to her. We're on the verge of the trees and pretty far from the farm.

I have to carry her, I don't know what's wrong but something definitely happened. I pick her up, we weigh about the same so she was light, but still hard to carry with my weak arms.

"Come on" I whisper feeling my heart rate increase again.

"Mom! Dad!" I scream when I fall with Alex in my arms and onto the grass.

I fail miserably when I try to stand again, my legs wobble and I almost topple over again, when I feel a hand on my shoulder.

I look up and see Daryl, he had always scared me, but Alex told me they were friends so he must be nice.

"Give er'!" He shouts motioning to Alex.

I lift her up best I can before Daryl takes her in his much stronger arms and runs to Hershel's house, leaving his crossbow behind.

I pick up the heavy metal, knowing he'll want it back, and run as fast as I can behind him barely holding up his weapon, leaving the gun I took behind.

"What's going on?!" I hear Dad shout as he follows Daryl and Hershel into a room where I think Alex is.

I should've listened to her and just went back. I don't know what's wrong with her, but did I make it happen?

I play with my hat twiddling it around and take a deep breath.

I hear an occasional shout from Daryl or Dad, but the one that makes me laugh is when Hershel tells them to shut up.

They all exit the room after ten minutes and I stand up, hopefully she'll be okay. Respectfully I take off my hat and wait for what Dad has to say.

"Son, did you and Alex do some running today?" He says crouching down to my level pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Um...." I bite my lip not knowing whether to lie to him or not, but it might affect Alex so I tell the truth. "Yes"

He sighs and looks disappointed, a look I always hated to see in his eyes. "Carl...you know she just got out of bed today. She'll rest up the rest of today, but tomorrow she can't be running around, she needs to heal. Understand?" He raises his eyebrows.

I nod my head yes and see Daryl walking down the hallway, I carefully pick up his crossbow, and make my way to him, struggling a bit.

"Daryl...I grabbed this for you, you dropped it" I hand out his crossbow that I struggle to keep a grip on.

"Thanks kid" he says thankfully nodding his head upwards.

"Carl...my names Carl" I correct.

"Yea...thanks kid" he says walking out of the house and messing up my hair on the way out, I hate that.

I fix my hair and stare at Dad, seeing a jealous look in his eyes. "These are my kids" he whispers before shaking his head and walking back outside.