25.

I stormed through the halls, pissed about everything and at everyone, including the three guards following me at what they thought was a far enough distance to spare them my fury. I considered picking a fight but figured I'd be stuck with the same guards until I brought this stupid charade to an end and that being civil was in my best interest, no matter how much I wanted to be alone right now.

Tapestries and vases and shields and statues and a million other fancy objects adorned the hallways. The doors lining the halls opened into fancy ballrooms and sitting rooms and suites for nobles visiting the castle. I knew I didn't belong in these fancy halls, but to have Arak show everyone that in such a manner was frustrating and humiliating. I could not stop the furious thoughts from racing through my mind. Even picturing the castle burned and looted didn't help the anger drain away.

Then I realized that these people, the people I had just eaten breakfast with, had everything they could possibly want and had never had to work a day for it. Arak was trying to make me feel bad because I wasn't like them. And I had let him put me down and make me feel small. I wasn't going to give him that power anymore. I had worked hard for everything in my life. I was doing everything that I could to get Tobin back. And now, with Miri's death and Arak's complacence, I was more than happy to do what I had already planned to do to make sure that the powerful people in this palace were brought low, were forced to work for their life, not watch others work their fingers to the bone for them.

I realized that I was roaming the palace with no destination in mind. Reminded of Daivon's words, I began to search for the royal practice quarts. I stopped in the first empty room I saw to change out of my fancy dress and into the more comfortable clothes I had snatched from my room. It took a little bit to convince my guards to stay in the hall. They only agreed after they had searched the room and I had promised that I wouldn't face any threat, no matter how small, on my own. I'm fairly certain they knew I was lying, but finally gave in.

When I finally stumbled across the royal practice courts outside the east wing of the castle, I saw Daivon dueling with Marek.

I ordered my guards to stay by the side and walked over, pulling off my shoes with a sigh. I tossed them behind me, satisfied with the twin thuds.

I studied the movement of the fighters and watched as Marek knocked the practice sword out of Daivon's hands and then brought his wooden sword to Daivon's neck. Daivon stepped back with his hands up in surrender and then surged forward and gave the crown prince a clap on the back. "That was a good twist at the end, Marek. You will have to teach me that," Daivon grinned good-naturedly.

"Me, as well," I said.

"Lyss!" Daivon said happily. "I didn't notice you walk up."

"Hi," I said, "Kade."

"What?"

"Call me Kade."

"Oh, right," Daivon said, "That's the name you went by for the past few years."

I nodded.

"I'm Marek," Marek said. "We didn't really get a chance to talk much earlier."

"I know. You're the crown prince," I said.

"I am, although I suspect my, er, our parents will make you the heir soon enough," Marek said. He didn't sound very sad that he was losing the opportunity to become king.

"I doubt they'll make me queen. I wouldn't make a very good ruler. Arak proved that today. I mean, I can't even read!" I explained.

"They'll take care of all of that," Daivon insisted. "It won't be fun, but you'll learn it all. And as for Arak, he's an ass. Just ignore him. Anyone with eyes can see that he was baiting you."