45.

"Acolyte Tobin," Camus's voice broke into our fervent embrace; I had forgotten that we weren't alone.

Tobin pulled away from me and, although all I wanted to do was hold him close to me forever, I let him go. I dusted off my knees and rose to my feet.

"Father Camus," Tobin said. He bowed. My heart hitched; I didn't want him to have to bow to anyone. I would get him out of here and make sure that he never had to bow down again.

"Show Kade to your chambers, please. You can have your reunion there. You are excused from your duties until afternoon prayer," Camus said.

"Thank you, Father Camus. You are most gracious," Tobin bowed again and took my hand, leading me from the room. I had my brother back and soon we would be getting out of here, leaving Arovia for good. Maybe we could go to Coronado. The One God hadn't infiltrated that country yet. I had enough stolen jewelry to get us there and help us start a new life.

Even with Tobin's hand in mine pulling me away, I couldn't help but glance behind me. Obviously they knew that I was the cause of their capture, but walking away from them proved that I had betrayed them when all they had done was love me. I knew I deserved their hate and I knew that I deserved to see it on their faces one last time.

Peter and Dionisa were both looking at me sorrowfully. Peter shook his head when I met his eyes. I squeezed mine closed and looked to Marek. He was furious and I knew that he kept imaging all the good times we had spent together and realizing that it was a lie. It wasn't a lie, I wanted to shout, you may have thought I was someone else, but everything I did was me.

I choked down the words though and looked to Daivon and Arabelle. Both just met my eyes, shook their heads like they couldn't believe I had really done it, and looked away. Jovian, Cynthia, Gavin and Joyce wouldn't look at me at all. My lungs constricted and I gave the tiniest gasp; not even Tobin heard.

I was afraid to see what Maisa would have on her face. Would it be a triumphant smile because she knew all along? Would that smile quickly be replaced with disappointment and regret because she didn't figure it out in time to save Arovia? Would it be anger as large and consuming as that of the gods? I swallowed my trepidation and looked to the High Priestess. But Maisa met my eyes and smiled.

It was the smile that drove me from the room. I turned until I could see only the door and told my numb legs to move faster. Tobin's grip on my hand was the only thing I allowed my brain to focus on.

Out in the hall, once the large oak doors had closed behind us with a bang, I knelt, put my hands on Tobin's shoulders, which, when kneeling, were now higher than my own, and said, "Mayhap we should leave now, while Icas and Camus aren't thinking of us. I don't want to be stuck here because they want me to do something else for them."

"Leave? We can't." Tobin was mystified. "I told Father Camus that I would bring you to my chamber."

"But, Tobin," I began.

"It's this way," He said, and walked off, not giving me time to protest.

I followed the blond haired boy through the straight corridors and up a flight of stairs, memorizing our route to add it to the map I had begun when I was here the first time. The whole compound was built with a dark colored stone cut into even rectangles. Sconces with the bright un-flickering light that came from spelled stones were spaced evenly apart on the walls. Each door had a small chalkboard on the center of it with a label written in white chalk. My two months of work with Sir Charles and Maisa had improved my previously very poor knowledge of letters and so I could deduce a few things from the signs.