CONNOR MCDAVID

You sat in a local Edmonton coffee shop typing away on your laptop

You sat in a local Edmonton coffee shop typing away on your laptop. You were writing an essay over a topic you actually liked and your fingers were flying. You typed until you ran out of ideas then took a break. Looking over the top of your computer screen you saw a guy staring at you from the table in front you. He looked to be around the same age as you and he was definitely cute. He didn't seem to care that his blonde hair was kind of messy, but cute nonetheless. The mystery guy blushed and pulled his blue eyes away from you when he saw you caught him.

"Do you want to come sit with me?" You asked, shooting him a smile.

"Are you sure? You looked busy." He was nervous and you thought it was absolutely adorable.

"It's fine, I need a break anyway." You said, closing your laptop, letting him know you were done for a while. He slowly got up and moved to the seat across from yours. "I'm Y/N." You greeted.

"Connor." He said shyly. "What are you working on?" He asked, trying to strike up a conversation.

"I'm writing an essay for one of my classes." You told Connor. The more you looked at him, the more familiar he seemed. You thought maybe you had seen him on campus.

"College student?" He asked, taking a sip of his drink.

"Yeah, I'm a sophomore at Concordia. What about you?" Connor laced his fingers together and looked down nervously.

"I actually play hockey." He said, looking back at you.

"That's so cool. Who do you play for?" You had some friends who played hockey and wondered if he knew any of them.

"I'm actually the captain of the Oilers." Connor gained confidence after his statement, grinning at you. He definitely wouldn't know any of your friends, they all played in pick-up leagues.

"Really? What's that like?" You could see how surprised he was that you didn't freak out or ask him for an autograph or a picture. You laughed at his stunned face and he blushed as a smile crept up on his lips.

"Sorry." He said, looking back up.

"It's okay. I'm not like that, I promise. To me you're just the cute guy I met at a coffee shop." You explained to him. He smiled to himself with a proud look in his eyes.

"Do you, uh, maybe want to grab dinner with me?" Connor asked, catching you by surprise.

"Right now?" You asked. It was hard to believe Connor was asking you to dinner.

"If you want, it's okay if you don't. I understand, it can be a lot to go out with a hockey player." Connor rambled nervously. You smiled at how shy he was. Maybe you could break him out of his shell.

"No, I'd love to, Connor." He smiled at you, his eyes lighting up.

"Really?"

"Yes." You giggled, scooting your chair back. "Just let me put my stuff upstairs then we can go." You stood up and collected all your things from the table.

"Upstairs?" Connor asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yeah, I live in one of the apartments above this." You explained.

"Oh, I see." He said.

"I'll be right back." You kissed his cheek then headed for the staircase. You were glad he couldn't see your face because your cheeks burned. You surprised yourself by bold you were.

You went up to your apartment and dropped off all of your things before grabbing a jacket and heading back to Connor.

The two of you went on many dates after that and after a few months of talking, Connor finally worked up the courage to ask you to be his girlfriend, which you gladly accepted.

That led you to where you were now, sitting on the couch, cuddled up with Connor in his living room watching a movie. "Hey babe?" He said, turning your attention from the movie up to him.

"Hmm?" You replied, looking up at your boyfriend.

"I love you." Connor said, smiling down at you.

"I love you too, Con." You replied, reaching up to kiss him.

Both of you had found the one thing you didn't know you needed. Each other.