IV. An Exorcism

"What a wonderful day for an exorcism," Rose smiled. "Don't you agree, Sister?"

"Shut up," Jude snapped. "The only reason you're here is because the damned demon seems to have taken an interest in you."

"How'd I miss dating that one?"

"An exorcism? Seriously? This is the twentieth center!" Thredson protested.

"Perhaps you should let the demon know that," Rose said.

Monsignor Timothy Howard guided all of them down the hall.

"Father Malachi is on his way. Come along." They were brought into the room where the boy was strapped down to a bed. Everyone began to get set up, while Rose stood in the corner looking rather calm.

"It is unwise and unethical to have Ms. Patterson here," Thredson protested. Rose waltzed forward and the possessed boys eyes followed her every move.

"The farmers boy? Really? Could you be more predictable?" she chuckled. He grinned at her.

"The Dark Mistress. How hell talks about you, I can't wait for the day you come down to have some fun." He cackled.

"Oh, honey," she laughed and leaned down. "I can't go go hell. Satan still has a restraining order against me."

Father Malachi rolled into the room in his wheelchair and began getting ready.

"Sister, prayer book!" Jude grabbed the prayer book and handed it to him.

"Good job, my daughter. Why don't you go sit with the Potters, this is no place for a woman," Malachi said.

"I'm stronger than you think," Jude growled.

"The Potters could use some of that strength," Monsignor Timothy said.

Rose rolled her eyes. Jude hesitated but walked out.

"Ms. Patterson should go too," Malachi said.

"The girl stays!" Jed screamed. His voice had gone very deep and inhuman. The door to the room slammed shut and locked.

Thredson stumbled back.

Jed began speaking Latin. Thredson grabbed a stethoscope and checked the boys pulse.

"Increasing blood pressure rising," he said.

"Oliver," the demon spoke. "Look at you. I see what you become and I'm glad that I gave you up."

Thredson ripped off the stethoscope and pulled back.

"Don't listen to it, doctor!" Malachi called.

"Learn your place, old man!"

"We honor you in Jesus Christ," Father Timothy prayed, sticking a cross in the demons face.

"Stick it up your butt, father," the demon growled.

Malachi spoke in Latin and the demon finished the sentence for him. "Yes, we've already heard that bit. Now skip ahead!"

The bible flew out of Malachi's hands and almost hit Thredson.

"And the lord said to thy cripple," the demon said. "Take up thy bed and fly."

Malachi flew back out of his wheelchair and hit the wall. Thredson and Timothy ran to help him.

They took him to the infirmary and Jude was sent to watch the demon. Rosita waited outside the hallway until she heard shouting. Timothy and Thredson returned and pulled Jude out.

Rosita walked in as Timothy threw holy water on him and the lights began to flicker.

"No more time for prayers," Thredson said filling a syringe. "His heart can't handle it."

"You'll kill him," Rose said.

Thredson wasn't listening he stabbed the syringe in the boys arm and injected it. Jed collapsed and began spasming.

Sister Jude and Mary Eunice walked in as Thredson pushed down on Jed's heart, for CPR.

He lurched forward and his eyes met Mary Eunice's before he fell back dead. The lights came back on and Mary collapsed to the floor.

"Well," Rose said. "I think that went rather well."