VIII. Manipulation

"You morons," Rose hissed through her teeth. She looked at the trio of sopping wet people and rolled her eyes. "You're lucky Jude is too hungover to know you all are the ones that attempted to escape."

"Yeah, lucky," Kit huffed.

She put out her cigarette in the ash tray and stood to her feet. "Looks like we'll have to come up with another plan of getting out. I'll be back, I have therapy. And where the hell is Shelly?"

Rose stormed off and to her therapy session. The first thing she saw when she stepped in Thredsons office was a stack of books.

He turned to her and gave a small nod. "I discussed it with Jude. You can have books with you."

She cautiously walked forward and began checking titles.

'Star Trek', 'The Green Mile', 'Anne Frank's Diary', 'The Hobbit', 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

She looked up at him and lightly smiled.

"Thank you, Oliver."

He took a seat and she did the same. "I'm gonna need answers if I'm gonna get you out of here."

"That depends. What do you wish to know?"

"Why do you kill?"

"Why do you?"

Thredson looked at her for a long moment. "Just tell me. And I will be able to get you out of here."

She blinked a couple times and then smiled.

"I'd like to think I kill because I feel I'm doing something good for the world. I've killed many rapists. However I also believe I have a thing with power."

"Is that why you're seducing Mr. Walker?" Thredson said rather abruptly.

Rose's lips slowly turned upward into a grin. She let out a laugh, throwing her head back.

"Do I detect a hint of jealousy, Oliver? I could, of course, bring up the fact that you seem to be rather interested in Ms. Lana Winters, but I won't. Know why? Because I don't care."

"You don't seem to notice you and I are perfect for each other. Lana does not interest me like you do. Lana is a homosexual."

Rose stared at him. "Is that supposed to phase me? I don't see you as a hero fot doing conversion/aversion therapy. She should be aloud to love who she does. You should stay out of her life and stop giving her false hope that you are going to save her. We both know you're just looking for a mommy."

"She does not fit me like you do. You understand me. We are one in the same. Tell me you don't feel anything?"

"I'm a sociopath. I have anti-social personality disorder. I lack the ability of emotional affection to have the capability to feel the way you do. I don't feel."

"But you want to," Thredson said. "You want to be able to feel love and not pain. I can see the way you look at people. You want to feel."

She looked at him for a long moment before breaking eye contact and standing to her feet.

"Pleasure, as always. But I'm afraid our time is up." She picked up the books and walked to the door. "Til next time."
° ° °
Kit slumped down in front of Rose who had a chess board in front of her. "What is up with the doc? Ever since he saw us that night he's been real uptight with me."

"It could be the fact he has the hots for me and he is also the real bloody face," Rose said without looking up and moving her rook.

Kit stared at her in awe. "That bastard! You're telling me I'm in here for his crime while he's set on framing me?"

"Yep."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"You forget I'm still a murderer."

He shrugged his shoulders and then brought his fist to his mouth. "So now what?"

"Now we come up with a better plan. Our number of enemies are growing, Mr. Walker," Rose said taking out a pawn.

"Thredson," Kit said. "We can manipulate him. You can manipulate him."

She finally looked up at him with an upturned eyebrow. "And why would I do that?"

"You help us and get freedom, it's a win-win."

She hummed to herself and glanced up as Sister Mary waltzed around.

"Alright...I have an idea. Let me have a little chat with Dr. Arden."
° ° °
"What do you want?" Arden snapped.

Rose smiled at him. "I wouldn't suppose you know where Shelly is, would you?"

He glanced at her over his glasses and his lip turned up in a sneer. "No. I don't know where she is."

Rose walked forward slowly. She swayed her hips and got closer to him, so they were inches apart. He swallowed and she grinned, standing on her tippy toes and placing her lips an inch apart from his.

She ran her hand down his chest and he tensed.

Without warning she grinned and patted his shoulder.

"Well thanks for the chat! Let me know if you hear from her."

She left and walked back to the common room and dangled a knife in front of her face. Kit's eyes widened.

She shoved it in her pocket and leaned back.

"Thredson wants me, he can come and get me."