XI. Kicking a Hornets Nest

Rose awoke from a nap to find a box was on the foot of her bed.

Giving it a suspicious look, she opened it and pulled out the fabric, to reveal a tiny black dress.

A note was attached to it.

Dinner tonight. Consider this the beginning of us working toward trusting each other.
~Oliver

She rolled her eyes and dropped the note.

She tapped her finger against her chin in a thoughtful way before standing, going into the bathroom and jumping in the shower to freshen up then changing into the black dress.

She found supplies in the bathroom, including a hair dryer.

After she had dried her hair, she pulled on the black heels and applied some makeup. She turned the doorknob to find it was unlocked. A triumphant smile crossed her painted lips as she stepped into the hallway.

She ran her nails along the walls as she made her way to the kitchen.

The scent of pasta made her mouth water a little as she leaned against the wall.

Oliver placed the pasta on the plate and spread sauce over it.

"I figured you'd get takeout,"  Rose chuckled.

He didn't turn to look at her. "I find homecooked meals are the fastest way to a females heart. That, and cooking has therapeutic qualities."

He turned to her with a smile.

She sashayed forward, sitting at the counter. Her fingers tapping against the counter.

She watched as he placed the pasta on the plates before setting them on the table, she followed behind and he pulled out the chair for her to sit in before seating himself.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a stack of cards, placing them on the table. She looked at him with an upturned brow.

"Question cards. I'll go first." He flipped one over. "If given the oppurtunity, would you rather go forward or back in time? I would go back, try and fix things. You?"

". . . Forward. We cannot change the past, only make amends with the future."

The cards went on through most of dinner. Some laughing actually took place, and when it was late, Rose stood to bid a goodnight. He stood in front of her before leaning down to kiss her.

She deepened the kiss, wrapping her arms around his neck.

They eventually had to pull away for air and she pecked his cheek.

"Be careful, Oliver. You're kicking the hornets nest. Are you sure you wanna get stung?"

He gripped her waist. "I wanna do more than that."

She smirked before pulling away. "Get some sleep, you have work tomorrow." She waved to him as her figure disappeared up the stairs to finish walking The Green Mile.