Chapter 26 - Reminiscing

*HAYLEY'S POV*

"So are you going to be okay?" Jasmine asks me from her spot on my bed

I sigh, "I really don't know"

"I think it'll be tough but you need some closure" She tells me, wisely

"I agree, it's just I'm not to terms with it all yet and it's so hard already" I tell her

"I know, but you need to also remember that it has been a while since you last saw your grandma, she's not going to be the same as you remember" Jasmine's normally vibrant eyes are slightly faded, sympathy clouding her brown eyes.

"I know that, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to see her that way"

"Well, she's not getting any better any sooner. You need to see her while you can, I'm sorry to be so harsh but it's true"

I nod, I know that Jasmine is right. I need to man up and go see her. I'm not going alone though. I'm definitely not ready for that, Jake will come with me, we will be each others support.

Jasmine may seem harsh sometimes but she's just being honest and most of the time, she's right. I'm glad I have someone like her to help me through tough situations.

"I'm going to see her today" I declare after having an internal battle with myself about visiting her. I know that the guilt will eat me alive if I don't go to see her and if something.. happens.

Jasmine smiles, reassuringly, seeing the worry in my eyes, she moves across the bed, engulfing me in her warm arms. She knows exactly how to make me feel better. She pulls back, the smile still on her face, "Good luck, I'll leave you to do what you need to" she says, before picking up her back that is slumped against my door and exiting the room before sending me one more warm smile.

"Jasmine!" I call all of a sudden, waiting a few seconds before she reappears in the door, an expectant look on her face as she rests one hand on the off-white door frame

"Yes?"

"Thank you" I smile at her and she nods before leaving once again.

I sigh, collapsing backwards onto my bed with a 'oomf'. I think about my decisions over and over again, almost as if I'm putting off seeing my grandmother. I need closure. I remind myself, heaving myself off of my comfortable bed I make my way over to my closet, picking out a simple t-shirt and shorts. I pad over to my bathroom, closing the door, I begin changing out of my pyjamas after jasmines emergency visit early this morning. I slip my t-shirt over my head and slip on some new underwear and the shorts I picked out. I untie my hair and brush through the knots that have formed over night, tangling my long brown hair. I re-tie my hair up into a ponytail and apply some light make-up to my face. I walk out of my bathroom, feeling fresher already and grab my toms. I slip the on my feet and head downstairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks for the pancakes, mum. They were great" I compliment, getting up off the bar-stool set up near the Island table and sticking my plate under the tap. Rinsing is off before putting it into the dishwasher.

"You're welcome, sweetie"

I nod before heading out of the room.

"Oh, Haley" my mum calls me back into the room as she scribbles some letters onto a worn out piece of paper.
I look at her, waiting for her to speak.

"I know that you said you'll do it when you're ready but this has been on my mind for sometime" I already know this is about grandma. Mum probably heard jasmine and I talking about it in my room, unintentionally eavesdropping on our conversation. I knew that this topic would be brought up soon enough