Chapter 41 -

*HALEY'S POV*

The days that followed Christmas were slow and quiet. I received a few texts from friends wishing me a merry Christmas and a happy new year, I returned them of course. At the moment I was on my bed, a magazine in my hand with Katie sitting at my desk chair.

"What do I do?" I whine, looking at Katie before dropping my magazine.

"Well, it's obvious, it's like you don't even watch teen drama. You have to pick one of them, Hales" she tells me, shrugging her shoulders helplessly.

"Do you even feel bad for me?" I ask teasingly

"You have two hot guys after you, I have nothing to feel bad for" she laughs, shaking her head which causes me to laugh along.

A knock at my bedroom door gathers our attention and our laughing cuts off as I answer. "Yeah?" I call out.

The door cracks open releasing a slight creaking sound. Jakes head pokes in curiously.

"Come in" Katie answers for me and I roll my eyes when I see Jake grin and stride forward towards her.

"Can I steal her?" he asks, grabbing her hand and looking to me for approval.

"No! I had her first and I need her help" I tell him defensively. I'm not letting him just whisk her away.

"Well, can't she help another time?" he whines

"No, I need her now. She was my best friend first so I get priority" this causes Katie to laugh.

"You can both have me. Jake, sit down. Haley, keep talking" She pulls Jake onto her lap and he quickly jumps up and off of her.

"I'm gonna hurt you," he says and grabs her hand again, lifting her up. He sits down on the chair, pulling her down onto his lap and holding her by the waist. I would think that the action was cute if it wasn't for Jake being my brother.

I roll my eyes for the second time, impatiently tapping my foot.

"I can't talk about- you know what," I correct myself before continuing, "in front of him!"

Jake looks offended as I say this and I quickly backtrack. "I don't mean it like that, Jake! You wouldn't like what I'm talking about anyway" I try and reason with him

"You should go with Dylan" Jake says casually, shrugging.

My mouth hangs open, surprise taking over my features. "What?" I exclaim

"I may have mentioned a few things to him. But I didn't mean to! it just kinda.. came out" Katie explains quickly and I slap my forehead dramatically.

"Katie" I drag out into a whine, covering my face with a pillow.

I hear Jake mutter something about how over dramatic I'm being but ignore it as I groan.

When I finally collect myself, I sit up and take a deep breath.

Jake looks at me seriously and I guess I can just tell that the topic makes him angry because it's just a twin thing.

"Carters a tool, Haley. If you haven't notice that already then you must be blind because it's pretty obvious" Jake says rudely.

I feel my eyes well up with tears and blink them away. Katie sighs and whispers something to Jake harshly before getting off his lap. She makes her way over to me and hugs me tightly. I sniffle quietly and attempt to stop crying. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath. I open my eyes when I feel Katie retracting from the hug. She gets up and walks over to the door, giving Jake a stern look. He looks like a guilty puppy as he sits at my desk chair.

I know what's about to happen. Katie made it pretty obvious that Jake and I needed to talk alone.

When the door closes Jake strides across my room and sits beside me on the bed. I frantically wipe my tears away and he sighs loudly.

"You know that I don't mean to be rude, right?" he asks softly and I nod my head silently, urging him to continue.

"It's just, I don't like this. I don't like the thought of you being with a guy. Especially one like Carter and I don't want him to do something stupid because I know you won't let me

hit him" he tries at a joke and I stifle a quiet laugh.

"I don't want to take it out on you but I just think that you should end it with him. I know that he can be nice sometimes, Hales but most of the time he's a cocky dick. I know because I used to be like that. And I don't want him to treat you badly. I kick him out and curse at him and bitch about him because you're my little sister, Haley. It doesn't matter if I'm only a couple minutes older. It's my job, you know? it's what us brothers do when our little sisters get boyfriends. I'll probably do the exact same thing when Stacey gets a boyfriend, god forbid that I don't think id be able to handle it," he laughs and I laugh too, wiping the last of my tears away.

"I'm a jerk sometimes because I love you and I don't want anything bad to happen to you. I just want you to be happy and safe and I know you. Carter doesn't make you happy. I mean, he can tell a shitty joke and make you laugh but it doesn't last very long. I know that you like Dylan. You're always smiling like a dork with him and he's the exact same. Even if I don't like the idea, I think that he's into you" he pokes my cheek teasingly, a small smile on his face.

I don't know what to say. This week has been so stressful and I just want to cry (again). But this time I let a tear of joy slip from my eyes.

Jake looks incredibly confused.

"I love you too, Jake" I laugh, hugging him tightly. He laughs too, understanding that I'm just relieved. He holds me tight for a few seconds before letting me go.

He gets up off my bed and walks towards the door before turning around and saying "I think you have an arse to dump" with an amused grin he leaves and I'm left alone in my room.

I know what I need to do but I don't know how to do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N I wrote this chapter in like, the past hour because I haven't been in the mood to write and I don't want to force it. I hope you liked this chapter nevertheless and please comment/share/follow and vote because it lets me know that you like what I'm writing.

I just want to say thank you so much for all the support. I know that I've said this before but I really mean it. And I know that so many people say this but you guys have blown me away. You're all so nice and supportive and it really makes my day. I love reading your comments (even if they're just telling me to update haha) and your votes really are appreciated.

Thank you x