At Flourish and Blotts

Harry was sitting comfortably at the Weasleys' table one morning, a week after he arrived by flying car, when three owls arrived. Mr Weasley was handing out identical envelopes of yellowish parchment.

'Letters from school,' he said. 'Dumbledore already knows you're here, Harry- never misses a trick, that man.'

Harry unfolded his letter, which told him to catch the Hogwarts Express on September the first, and there was a list of new books that second years would require.

These were:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk

Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart

Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart

Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

Ron caught Harry's eye and raised his eyebrows.

'This lot won't come cheap,' George frowned. 'Lockhart's books are really expensive...'

'We'll manage,' said Mrs Weasley. 'I expect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things second-hand.'

'Oh, are you starting at Hogwarts this year?' Harry asked Ginny. She nodded, blushing tomato red and put her elbow in the butter dish. Just then Percy walked in, already dressed with his Hogwarts prefect badge pinned to his knitted vest top.

'Hang on, don't sit!'

Ron dived at the chair and pulled a moulting, grey owl from under Percy's bottom.

'You almost sat on Errol!'

Percy rolled his eyes and started on his breakfast.

'Finally- he's got Hermione's answer. I wrote to her ages ago.'

He dumped Errol on the draining board, where he dropped off to sleep.

'Pathetic,' Ron muttered before ripping open Hermione's letter and reading it aloud.

Dear Ron, and Harry if you're there,

I hope everything went all right and that Harry is ok and that you didn't do anything illegal to get him out, Ron, because that would get Harry into trouble, too. I've been really worried and if Harry's all right, will you please let me know at once, but perhaps it would be better if you used a different owl because I think another delivery might finish your one off. I think Castiel's new one is on her way to you. If she hasn't arrived already, maybe you can ask to borrow her. It might take a while, though, he lives in North Wales somewhere.

I'm very busy with school work, of course -'How can she be?' said Ron in horror. 'We're on holiday!'- and we're meeting Castiel in London next Wednesday. Why don't we meet in Diagon Alley?

Let me know what's happening as soon as you can, love from Hermione.

Just then a handsome tawny flew in, followed by a black barn owl, one landing in front of Mrs Weasley and the other in front of Ron. Ron groaned as he saw the tawny.

'Isn't that Mycroft's owl?' Percy asked. Mrs Weasley opened it and read it to them.

Dear Weasley family,

We are hosting a small dinner party this afternoon at four o' clock and we would be delighted if you could make it. Unfortunately we are a few guests short, so please feel free to invite whomever you would like. I would very much like for our children to get to know one another a little better.