The Chamber of Secrets

The next day at breakfast, Castiel listened wide-eyed as they told him what had happened.

'I knew that it wasn't Hagrid,' he said triumphantly.

'Yeah, but he still almost got us killed,' Ron said grumpily.

Castiel shrugged.

'All we need now is to find a way into Myrtle's bathroom,' Sherlock said.

'Yeah, that'll be easy,' said Harry.

Just then Seamus came up to them.

'Have you heard?' he said. 'We still have to do exams!'

'What?' Ron cried.

'Well I should think so!' said Percy, who had been listening. 'We should be aiming to keep things as normal as possible.'

John snorted but said nothing.

'How am I supposed to do exams with this?' Ron spluttered, holding up the wand that he was attempting to Spellotape together again.

Three days before their first exam, Professor McGonagall made an announcement at breakfast.

'I have good news!' she said.

Instead of falling silent, the Great Hall erupted in speculation. Professor McGonagall waited for the hubbub to subside and said, 'Professor Sprout has informed me that the Mandrakes are ready for cutting at last. Tonight, we will be able to revive those people who have been Petrified. I need hardly remind you all that one of them may well be able to tell us who, or what, attacked them. I am hopeful that this dreadful year will end with us catching the culprit.'

There was an explosion of cheering.

'It won't matter that we never had a chance to talk to Myrtle,' Ron said happily. 'Hermione'll probably have all the answers when they wake her up!'

'Might be kinder to leave her where she is until after the exams,' John joked. 'She hasn't done any revision yet and she'll go mad!'

Everyone gave an appreciative chuckle.

'Mr Edlund!' a voice squeaked from behind them.

They turned and saw Professor Flitwick approaching Castiel.

'Yes, Professor?' Castiel said politely.

'You are excused from afternoon lessons today. Madam Pomfrey has asked for your assistance in the hospital wing.'

'Oh,' Castiel said, surprised. 'Thank you for letting me know, Professor.'

'I will escort you after our Charms lesson today.'

Professor Flitwick then disappeared. Once he had gone, Ginny came over and sat next to Ron, looking nervous.

'What's up?' said Ron, spooning porridge into his bowl.

Ginny didn't say anything, but she looked up and down the table, shifting around in her seat.

'Spit it out,' said Ron, watching her.

She rocked backwards and forwards in her seat.

'I've got to tell you something,' she mumbled.

'What is it?' John asked, a strange feeling coming over him.

Ginny opened her mouth but no sound came out. Harry leaned in and murmured something to her, but just as she drew in a deep breath, Percy appeared looking tired.

'If you've finished eating, Ginny, I'll take that seat. I'm starving; I've only just got off patrol duty.'

Ginny jumped up as if she'd been electrocuted and scurried away.