The Deathday Party

'Castiel, wake up!'

Castiel bolted upright and found himself face to face with Sherlock's tousled bed-hair. He was already dressed, but he'd forgotten to put on his tie. The sun had already risen, but it was still early and the rest of the dormitory was still asleep. Good thing it was Saturday.

'Hurry up and get dressed, we're going out,' Sherlock said quietly. Castiel collected his clothes and pulled the blue silk curtains around the bed to get dressed in privacy. Sherlock waited patiently until Castiel re-emerged rolling up the sleeves of his trench coat

'Where are going?' Castiel asked as they exited Ravenclaw tower.

'We're going to the Forest. There's a certain centaur herd I'd like to speak to.'

Castiel rubbed his arm nervously.

'Why do you need me?'

Sherlock shrugged, lightly brushing a hand along the bannister as they descended the stairs.

'It's always good to have company.'

Castiel mentally prepared himself for the Forest, though something on his face seemed to give away his doubt. Sherlock stopped him in the entrance hall.

'You don't have to come if you don't want to,' he said seriously. From what Castiel could tell, he looked sincere.

'But if you do decide to come, you will be perfectly safe with me.'

Castiel considered him for a moment, uneasily thinking on Sherlock's request. On one hand, the Forest was incredibly dangerous and it scared Castiel to no end, but on the other, Sherlock said that he would be safe, and he didn't want to disappoint his friend.

'I'll come,' he said eventually. Sherlock seemed to decide he was ready this time and set off again.

It was quite chilly outside and the ground was damp with dew. The hem of Castiel's coat was soaked within minutes. They slipped quietly past Hagrid's hut, with loud snores emanating from within, and soon found themselves enclosed within the trees of the Forbidden Forest. Sherlock wandered through them aimlessly, listening intently. Castiel heard only the whisper of the wind in the branches above and the soft snapping of Sherlock's feet on the ground. His ears must have been sharper than Castiel's, or at least known what he was listening for, as his steps became more assured and took a more definite direction. The Forest stirred and suddenly the sound of hooves pounded around them.

Though Castiel had seen them before, it did not make them any less frightening. Once again they were surrounded by centaurs. The red-haired centaur they knew as Ronan stepped forward. Castiel also recognised Magorian- who looked slightly less furious than last time- and Firenze.

'Welcome, Observant One,' Ronan said. 'And to what do we owe this honour?'

Sherlock looked Ronan straight in the face but Ronan smiled before he said anything.

'Ah, it has already begun. I see it in the way you hold yourself.'

Sherlock cocked his head.

'What do you mean?'

'The connection between you and the Oracle. You have felt it stirring inside you, have you not?'

'I have,' Sherlock admitted. 'Though I don't think John has.'

Castiel frowned at him.

'You never mentioned it,' he said. The centaurs suddenly turned to look at him, noticing him for the first time.