The Very Secret Diary

John and Castiel returned from their Christmas holiday and, almost immediately, Castiel was whisked away by Gabriel.

'I think he must have caught my flu,' John said. 'He didn't look well on the train. Hope he didn't though, it was awful.'

'Really that bad?' Sherlock asked.

'Yeah and it kept coming and going. It was mostly all right, but Christmas Day I couldn't get rid of the taste of overcooked cabbage.'

'I see.'

Sherlock was silent for a moment while John got a better grip on his trunk. He took a few steps into the Entrance Hall and was suddenly on the floor, looking bewildered. Sherlock looked at him incredulously.

'You've only been here five minutes!'

'Yeah, yeah, are you going to help me up or what?'

Sherlock hauled him to his feet and, once again, helped John up to the hospital wing.

'You should get a walking stick. I might not be there to help next time,' Sherlock grunted.

'Or this place should get a lift.'

'A what?'

'Never mind.'

Gabriel met them coming out of the hospital wing looking significantly less worried than when he'd got off the train.

'How's he doing?' John asked.

'Oh don't worry about him, he'll be fine. Your leg?' he asked, nodding at John.

'Yeah. Madam Pomfrey'll fix it.'

'Maybe Sherlock should learn to fix it.'

Gabriel smiled and walked off.

Madam Pomfrey was not happy.

I told you to be careful with that leg, Watson,' she said.

'I did, it just sort of – happened.'

'John, is that you?' a voice said from behind a curtain.

The curtain pulled back and a girl-sized car appeared, staring at him with glowing yellow eyes. His jaw dropped as he recognised her.

'Hermione?' he gasped. 'You- you're a cat!'

She grimaced.

'Tell you later,' she said.

Sherlock had stopped listening and tried to sneak down to the other end of the room, looking for Castiel.

'Sherlock, leave him alone,' John called. 'I already told you, he's got the flu.'

Sherlock stopped, but didn't turn back.

'I was with him on the train, he'll be fine.'

Sherlock reluctantly turned away, back to John while Madam Pomfrey fixed his leg.

Hermione remained in the hospital wing for several weeks, causing a flurry of rumour at her disappearance. Everyone thought she had been attacked and filed past the hospital wing, trying to catch a glimpse of her. She was visited every evening by the boys as they brought her that day's homework.

'If I'd sprouted whiskers, I'd take a break from work,' said Ron, tipping a stack of books onto Hermione's bedside table.

'Don't be silly, Ron, I've got to keep up.'

All six of them were there, Sherlock on another bed with Castiel helping him with Potions. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to be going well and Castiel gave up, snapping his book shut. John frowned at him worriedly as he came over looking frustrated.