Cornelius Fudge

They all knew that Hagrid had an unfortunate liking for large and monstrous creatures, having previously come across his giant, three-headed dog named Fluffy, as well as helping him smuggle a dragon hatchling out of the castle.

'What did the monster look like?' Sherlock asked after Harry had finished telling them what happened.

'It was big, hairy and had a lot of legs,' Harry said dully, imagining Hagrid trying to fit a lead and collar on it. 'He probably thought it was a shame that it had been cooped up for so long.'

Castiel pursed his lips.

'I don't believe it. Hagrid would never do this,' he said.

'Riddle might have the wrong person,' said Hermione. 'Maybe it was some other monster that was attacking people...'

'How many monsters d'you think this place can hold?' Ron said.

John shook his head.

'This doesn't make any sense,' he said 'Hagrid is not the heir of Slytherin. Not in a million years.'

'But we don't know that for sure. It's just as likely as Harry being the heir of Slytherin,' Sherlock said.

'But do you really think it was him? Do you really think Hagrid wants to kill Muggle-borns?' John said adamantly.

'Of course not, but that doesn't mean he set it loose and it started attacking people on its own,' Harry said. 'We all know he was expelled and the attacks must have stopped, otherwise Riddle wouldn't have got his award.'

'Who asked Riddle to grass on Hagrid, anyway?' Ron scowled.

'The monster had killed someone, Ron,' Hermione pointed out.

'And Riddle was going back to some Muggle orphanage if they closed Hogwarts,' said Harry. 'I don't blame him for wanting to stay here...'

'No. No, it doesn't feel right,' John said. 'Something is off about this Riddle. Did you see what house he was in? He was wearing his Prefect badge, right?'

Harry was silent.

'Bet you anything he was in Slytherin.'

'Do you think we should ask Hagrid about it all?' Hermione said hesitantly.

'Oh yeah, that'll be a cheerful visit,' Ron said. 'Hello, Hagrid, tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?'

Eventually, they decided that they wouldn't speak to Hagrid unless there was another attack, and since it had now been almost four months since the last one, they were hopeful that they would never have to.

Once the Easter holidays came around, the second-years were given something else to think about in the form of their third-year subject choices.

'It could affect our whole future,' Hermione said earnestly, poring over the subject list and surrounded by books on each of them.

'I just want to give up Potions,' said Harry, with fervent agreement from Castiel.

'We can't,' Ron said gloomily. 'We keep all our old subjects, or I'd've ditched Defense Against the Dark Arts.'

Hermione looked shocked.

'But that's very important!' she said.

'Not the way Lockhart teaches it,' John scoffed.

'Yeah. The only thing I've learned from him is not to set pixies loose,' said Ron.

Sherlock received a letter from Mycroft advising him on his subjects, which he promptly threw in the fire. John looked over Sherlock's shoulder at his subject list.