Starts as a bet

"I'm not gay," Steve insisted with a laugh, tossing his head back as if Tony had cracked one of his killer jokes. On this rare occasion, however, Tony Stark had been dead serious when he brought up the idea that Steve should be questioning his sexuality.

"C'mon Stark, we're writing down names of people to invite to my bachelor party-" He paused mid sentence, hesitating before scribbling down the name of one of his childhood friends. Bucky Barnes... he thought to himself, crossing out Bucky before rewriting James beside it. Doubtful he would still go by his nickname. "Which, if you haven't forgotten, is because I'm getting married to Sharon Carter who just so happens," Steve finished off the list with Sam Wilson, knowing his best friend wouldn't miss this party for the world. "To be female."

Tony just huffed, spinning around once in his office chair as he chewed on a pen. "Anyone can get married to a girl, Rogers. Hell, if I wanted to I could up and get married tomorrow."

"You're already Married."

Tony smirked, taking the pen and pointing it at Steve. "Exactly."

Steve rolled his eyes, folding up the paper before slipping it into an envelope. Sam had promised to deal with the invitations if Steve pulled together a list. "Tony I don't know what to tell you. I've dated girls all my life, now I'm getting married to one. If that's not proof that I'm straight- as straight as that pen," he added, nodding to the pen that Tony was now tapping against his thigh, only to see the end slightly bent from where the billionaire had been chewing on it. He fell silent, realizing a moment too late that his analogy was only proving Starks point.

"You were saying?" A smug look appeared on Tony's face as he leaned back in his chair, looking as if he'd just won the lottery.

Steve clenched his jaw, meeting the other man's gaze. "Fine."

"Fine, you admit you're gay?"

"Fine, I'll prove to you that I'm straight."

Tony nodded slowly, a plan already blossoming in his mind. "Hand me that list," he requested, propping his feet up on his desk as he opened the envelope back up, revealing at least twenty names. "You know all these guys well?"

"Most of them. Not so much with bu- James Barnes." Steve swallowed, the name like sandpaper against his threat.

"He go by James now?"

Steve nodded, thoughts suddenly drifting elsewhere. Back to his mother's funeral where she had been buried next to his dad, and walking back home with Bucky in tow. "I'm with you 'till the end of the line, Pal." The brunette had promised, and he'd meant it. Years later Bucky enlisted in the army, and that had been the last Steve Rogers had seen of Bucky Barnes.

"I...I didn't even know he was alive until recently. Evidently his unit was captured and..." he couldn't bring himself to continue. The unspoken words of Bucky being tortured by a Nazi group called Hydra bringing a chill up his spine. An image of Bucky with a metal prosthetic flashed in his mind, a picture he'd seen in the newspaper, titled something along the lines of, "Our Soldiers Returning home." Bucky had an honorable discharge, with a Purple Heart to prove it.

Tony dismissed his loss of words with a wave of his hand, going over the names on the list before setting it down on the table. "I'll make you a bet."

Steve nodded for him to continue, watching as Tony crossed his arms, gazing up at the ceiling.

"For one week you have to date one of the guys on that list." Tony held up a hand as Steve began to interrupt, a horrified expression on his face. "You get to choose who it is," he continued, "and it's only for a week."

Steve's jaw gaped open, recovering after only a moments of shock. "...what would be in it for me," he questioned, spinning the list around so it faced him. All of the guys on this list were like brothers. Clint...Bruce...Sam... Hell, even Wade.

"At the end of the week if you're still convinced that you're straight...I'll pay for your wedding."

Steve fell silent. He still wasn't sure where he was going to get the money for the wedding in the first place. With both his parents dead and living on a limited income earned from his art commissions, he had a tough time buying the simplest necessities such as his weekly groceries.

"If I were to say yes to this..." he began, biting his lip as he thought over scenarios in his head. Who would he choose to be his "boyfriend?" Surely it would have to be someone who would turn around after all this was over and laugh it off. There was no way he could ever tell Sharon, either. "And it turns out I'm gay after all," Steve continued, willing to play into Tony's  theory. Which, a theory was all it was. He knew he was straight, just as the sun knew it had to provide light and the ocean knew it had to create waves. It was a constant; something that would never change. With this in mind, and the need for money, Steve's mind was made up.

"Then I'm assuming you'll cancel the wedding and I won't need to pay for it."

Steve leaned forward running a hand through his hair.

"You've got nothing to lose, Rogers," Tony pointed out, noisily opening a bag of chips which he proceeded to eat, simply shrugging when Steve suggested his dignity. "I'm sure you'll thank me when this is all over and you're living your happy, gay life."

That comment seemed to set something off as Steve quickly stood up, jaw tight as he grabbed the envelope off of Tony's desk. "You know what? I'll do it. But, I want until after my Bachelor party to decide who it'll be."

Tony gave an enthusiastic laugh, lifting his arms into the air. "Perfect! Steve Rogers," He said, standing up as he extended an arm. "You've got yourself a deal."

Steve didn't hesitate, sealing the deal with a firm shake.