Chapter 15

Last time on Now That I'm Gone

“Goodnight Emma. Sleep well,”

“Will do,”

And just like that, our call was over.

Goodnight Emma. Sleep well.

I knew for sure that wasn’t going to happen but I shut my eyes anyways

Goodnight Mommy. Sleep tight you beautiful angel.
____________________________________________________________________________

BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!

My eyes opened and everything suddenly poured into my eyes. The color felt like explosions hitting my eyes and the light blinded me. I turned over and looked at my alarm clock, it was 6:30. It was Monday morning, and today I was going to be known as ‘the new girl’. I ran my fingers through my knotted hair and sat up.

Hopefully, no one will talk to me. Hopefully, I can get through the school year without being noticed.

I slowly lifted my comforters off of me and moved closest to the window. I moved the curtains out of my way and let the light shine in even more than it already was. Every corner of my room was covered in the light that was shining in through my window. I looked up to the sky and saw the light blue color and the small white clouds that plastered it. A smile spread across my face as I looked at the clouds and saw the shape of a heart.

Maybe today was going to be a good day.

I closed my curtains so I could get dressed remembering that Ander’s window was straight across from mine. I grabbed the bag from my closet that had the new clothes I bought the other day in it and laid out the outfit.

I completely forgot about school dress code.

I ran across my room and grabbed my laptop and went to my new school’s home page. I searched the dress code and found a bunch of information in this huge document. I downloaded the document and opened it so that I wouldn’t get in trouble because of my outfit. I scanned through everything and didn’t see anything against crop tops, but my shorts were too high.

Since I had a cardigan to cover my ‘scandalous’ shoulders, my shirt would be fine to wear. I didn’t know what I should wear to replace my shorts… Maybe skinny jeans? Maybe capris? Would a skirt be too much?

I don’t even think I have a skirt that will look good with this.

I opened my closet and pulled out a pair of black skinny jeans and grabbed a black leather jacket to go over my crop top instead of my cardigan.

Sorry cardigan, you just don’t go with this outfit.

I set my stuff on my bed and grabbed my cardigan to hang it up. When I hung up my cardigan I eyed a hot pink dress that had a heart outline carved out on the back.

Ooh! But you will definitely go with this!!!

I squealed to myself as I took the cardigan off of the hanger I had just put it on, and transferred it to the hanger the dress was on. I shut my closet door and walked out of my room making a b-line for the bathroom. I hurriedly shut the door behind me and shuffled over to the toilet to use the restroom. Once I was done I washed my hands and looked in the mirror.

Woah.

That wasn’t a good woah. I looked like I just walked out of a nightmare.

I pulled my hairbrush out of the cabinet and brushed my knotted hair.