nine - dresses and glitter

The next day, I was arguing with my marketing president in a meeting room.

We weren't agreeing on a lot of the pictures that were supposed to be shown at the gala. I hadn't had much free time and therefore couldn't visit the penthouse that Lucca had suggested so I settled for photos instead. Lucca had insisted that I do, but he'd asked too late and I had other things to worry about, like the flower arrangement for the gala ball, for instance.

My phone rang just then, vibrating against the table loudly.

I nodded to the fellow members of the meeting room before standing up and exiting the room. I didn't miss the inappropriate gazes that slid over my figure and inwardly cursed myself for wearing such a tight-fitting dress.

It was a simple black and straight cut affair, but it's embellished sleeves caught people's eyes, as did my rear. It probably didn't help that I had paired it with red sole pumps.

But I hadn't had much of a choice. All my dresses-save for this one- and pants had been packed yesterday evening in special labelled boxes. I'd forgotten how revealing the thing was before I'd worn it to work.

"Greyson speaking," I answered, annoyed at the caller.

"Hey sweetheart," brightly responded the obnoxious voice on the other end of the receiver.

"Don't call me that," I hissed, looking around. I headed back to my office for some more privacy.

"What do you want? I'm in the middle of something," I frowned.

"Just wondering if you're almost done with packing. I'm finished and transported my bags."

"You must be joking," I rolled my eyes. "Is that seriously why you called?"

"No. I'm not-"

"And I took the bigger room. You're welcome. That is all. Have a good day.""

And with that, Lucca hung up.

I forced myself to inhale deeply.

A few hours later, I was sitting in my walk in closet, seconds from falling asleep against a cardboard box.

"Almost there," I muttered to myself. I wasn't talking much with me, mostly because most of the stuff I owned I had no particular attachment to. I was only taking my beloved armchair and some linen but other than that, the apartment was to stay furnished so I could lease it later.

I smiled tiredly to myself as I finished packing then headed straight to bed.

The next day, I received a text from Lucca soon after waking up.

"Lunch ?" It read. "Ok," I answered absentmindedly. I had to move my stuff anyway, and we had to discuss the agreement our parents were enforcing on us.

Soon enough, I was walking to my new apartment, slightly nervous.

Living with a man I hadn't spoken to in almost ten years was daunting.

Despite it all, I knocked confidently on the door and straightened, We were just roommates for the time being. I could deal with that, right?

Lucca opened the door with a small smile. Despite being slightly taller (and more muscular) than before, he still had the same boyish grin.

"Welcome to your new home," he solemnly said. In response, I rolled my eyes taking off the black sneakers and setting them on the floor. He looked slightly surprised by my choice of attire, but didn't comment on it.

The penthouse was located on the Upper East Side, and held large window panels that showcased the large roads and many buildings that made up New York. It was modern, with a sleek design, but still held light.