eleven - bruises and peanut butter

His head snapped at the sound. Camellia groaned, struggling against the tube in her mouth.

"Calm down, Cam, okay? We'll have that mask off you in a second."

He was thankful that she had awakened, despite knowing the operation hadn't been serious. But he took in the bruises and cut on her collarbone and grimaced.

She had laid, eyes closed, the only indication that she was still alive was the heartbeat monitor occasionally making a sound, but save from that, her paleness could have been mistaken for death.

She had resembled Daisy, her pale arms clashing with her bright blue hair. He went back to that moment, where the only sound of the room was that of a flatline. His heart drummed against his chest as he shut his eyes tightly.

It was always there, his fear of his loved ones dying in front of him.

"You owe me ten bucks," Camellia announced with a grin, her voice hoarse.

He jumped, startled. He crashed back to reality, one where Camellia lay there, a nurse adjusting her fluids before smiling softly and closing the door behind her.

Sensing she was going to argue with this one, Lucca shook his head in disbelief, before fishing a crumpled ten dollar bill from his pocket. With a sigh, he dropped in her outstretched hand.

"No, but seriously, Grey, how are you feeling?"

She raised a brow, staring at him. Slight amusement could be sensed in her gaze, but most of it was annoyance.

"I'm sorry," Lucca muttered. "I'm sorry I wasn't there, and I-"

"Wait a second. You think this is your fault? Lucca. You were perfect. You were there for me when I desperately needed you to be. You stayed. You've done more than enough."

"He's in jail," Lucca deadpanned, grateful for her words.

But it was still there, the incessant doubt, the fact that their first public outing had resulted in such a mess. In addition to that, who was going to believe their relationship now?

More than anything, he was grateful that Camellia was safe, physically at least. Her mental trauma had to be terrifying.

"The security camera filmed you as soon as you got out of the bathroom, and on the balcony as well. The court date hasn't been announced but-"

His voice trailed away as she searched for his hand with her good arm.

"Lucca, I'm scared. I'm... terrified." Her hands were freezing and her face was hagard.

It frightened him, too, how close to death she had been when his filthy hands had been on her. It haunted him, and despite not being one for violence, he was regretting the fact that Alex had had to hold him back from physically killing him. He was sick in the head, inexplicably so.

"I promise," Lucca started lowly. "I'll promise that I'll stay. Whatever you need. Don't doubt it for a second."

She didn't meet his eyes.

"Thank you," she softly breathed. But her fingers curled around his.

Hours later, Camellia was still feeble but was given a green light to leave her hospital room.

She'd fallen the first time she had got up to go to the bathroom. He'd been asleep and woke up at the sound of a thump.

Camellia had cursed but brought herself back up. She had looked over him worriedly but he had feigned sleeping.