Chapter 2: Freedom...?

You sat there, wondering if you should have escaped while you had your chance. Although you had that regret, you were at least glad that you had a chance at escape at all. 'But how?' You would eventually ask yourself. With a sigh, you laid down and looked around at your surroundings.

There was an empty kennel to your right and a pretty big Golden Retriever to your left. He was sniffing curiously at your kennel. There was a Collie in the kennel in front of yours who kept sniffing the air and twitching her ears at the slightest of sounds. To the left of the Collie's kennel (the right side for you) was a Black Labrador. He was constantly chewing a squeaky tennis ball and every time he chewed it, the squeak would make the Collie shuffle nervously.

Suddenly feeling parched, you got up and padded to the water bowl to take a drink. You felt relieved once you lapped up the cool water that slaked your thirst. You slowly lift your head and turn around, getting the weird feeling of being watched. All of the other dogs were either sleeping, eating, or trying to rip their chew toy apart and the big golden retriever to your left just whined forlornly. His head was on laid on his paws and his tail drooped sadly. You felt a jolt of pity for the older dog. He must've stayed in this shelter for longer then a couple years.

Slowly walking over, his ears perked up and he tilted his head inquisitively in your direction. You barked a calm greeting and his tail began to wag slowly. He staggered up and walked forward to meet you. He sniffed your fur and examined you from snout to tail. You examined him too but noticed the slight smell of fear emitting from him. His hackles rose and then he slightly calmed down, realizing that you weren't hostile. 'He must have figured out that I was a wolf,' you thought amused. You gave him a respectful lick on his snout to show that you were friendly and not aggressive (That's the normal behavior of dogs so don't freak out if you were protesting that you would never do that. And sorry that I can't make "Y/n's" personality work for everyone but I'm going with a calm and kinda optimistic personality).

He was hesitant to trust you but he did so anyways and laid down next to the fence separating the kennels. There was pretty much nothing else to do so you plopped down beside the fence as well. The rise and fall of the old Retriever's chest relaxed you as it slowly lulled you to rest. Your vision darkened and you fell into a dreamless nap.

You woke to the slow and quiet squeaking of the metal door. The retriever was still beside you and snoring softly. Looking up, you see a lady in a white coat looking down at you with a muzzle and a leash in her hand. She slowly inches towards you and then suddenly fits the muzzle on your snout. You growl out of instinct and she hooks you up with a harness and a leash. You narrow your eyes at her. 'That was hardly necessary,' you huffed to yourself.

The lady leads you out the room filled with boarding kennels and down the hall to a very white room. There were three chairs in the corner of the room, a sink, a weird metal table in the middle, a thing used for weighing dogs and cats presumably, and some tools you could not identify (well ones I can't identify). She pulled you up on the table and examined your ears, eyes, fur, claws, and so on.

~~~~~Timeskip 'cuz I don't know how the checkups usually run~~~~~

It was getting close to night when you were led to your cage. She took of the leash and muzzle, locking you in your kennel. The food bowl was filled with kibble and most dogs were sleeping. I mean, you couldn't blame them, there was nothing much they could do. The Golden Retriever lifted his head and sniffed you but then went back to sleep. With a sigh, you glanced at the kibble with disinterest. You weren't very hungry anyways and circled the blanket before lying down for the night's rest.

You let the darkness consume your vision as you let your thoughts float aimlessly through your mind. How were you going to escape? When were you going to get the chance to escape? Why did you decide to let yourself be captured? Was it worth it? Keeping your ability a secret for your freedom to be taken away? Or would you rather have the city and maybe even the rest of humanity hunt you nonstop? You shook off these thoughts and squeezed your eyes shut, hoping to forget about the situation. Sleep eventually drifted by, sparing you from your endless line of questions and you let it settle in...

There was a click, followed by a soft creak. Your ear flickered upward. Did you dream that? Were you that desperate for freedom that you would imagine it? No... But it sounded so real! You would get up and check if it was real or not but you didn't want to get your hopes up.

You sniffed the air instead and almost choked on a strong bitter scent. Whimpering quietly in shock from the scent, you open your eyes, only to have moon light stream into your vision. You stagger up drowsily, blinking quickly. There was a figure in front of you but, slightly blinded and adjusting to the light, you couldn't make out the silhouette. They took a sharp breath and lingered for a second before disappearing. Slightly blinded and confused by what had just happened, you stagger towards the water bowl. You dip your nose in the cold water and lap up, cooling your throat and washing away the scent.

With a sigh of relief, you lift your head. You sniffed the air cautiously this time, noticing the smell wasn't as strong. You perk your ears for any sound and observed the room for any clues after your eyes adjusted. All the other dogs were still asleep, but something didn't seem right. Your eyes darted around and your gaze finally landed on the lock of your kennel door. It was unlocked. You froze and took a sharp breath in. This wasn't a dream. But there was something else you found more puzzling than the unlocked door. The moon light cascaded perfectly and gleamed onto what was a small puddle of black ink...

Ooooh, sorry for the cliffhanger, but I'm just gonna say, it's pretty obvious who that was. Well, hope you enjoyed this chapter and thanks for reading! Wolf, out!
(Oh, and I'm pretty sure this stuff is not completely accurate so don't assume this as true, I just tried my best to make it sound as accurate as I could with the experience of having a little doggo.)