Chapter 7: The Artistic Skeleton

(Warning: It may get a little offensive and very cheesy at some point in the chapter. You have been warned)

It was so dark. You were laying sprawled out on something, breathing rapidly. Adrenaline was pumping though your blood, giving you a rush of some sort of excited panic. There was a grunt and a gasp for air beneath you. Forgetting the previous events of what just happened and especially the part where you were forced to escape, you yelp quite loudly and jump off it, scaring both yourself and the...? Oh yeah, it was a skeleton. Memory of the recent event hits you at the speed of a train and realization starts to settle in.

On the attempt to get off, you trip on his arm and unsuccessfully stumbled beside him. Groaning, your head felt like it was spinning and pounding, which made you sick. You laid still for a while to calm your headache by pacing your breathing. You heard a couple quick breaths and some echoes of footsteps as Ink, you recall, staggers up. It sounded like he was looking for a wall with the careful yet misplaced shuffling of his footsteps. Your eyes slowly started gathering small bits of light, enough to see a blurry silhouette stumbling around blindly. You couldn't help but stifle a snicker. You focused of adjusting your vision a bit more and the silhouettes around seemed to focus better. 'Argh, the on and off switching from really bright white to pitch black dark are really messing with the brain,' you scowl internally. At this rate, you were surprised you weren't blind yet.

Slowly attempting to get up, you plant your dominant paw down and carefully push your body up. Ink coughs and finally finds a wall to lean against.

"Are you all right?" He calls out blindly, hoping you would reply.

Your throat felt parched and tired so you walk over to him at a predicable pace and brush your nose lightly against his leg... bone? Of course not realizing you would get a similar reaction of Error's, Ink shivers and jerks in the other direction.

"Sorry..." you yip apologetically. Your voice croaked awkwardly and you cringed. Ink didn't take long to realize.

"You haven't drank anything in about the last day, huh? Luckily, I opened a portal to a place close to water. Try to follow me and I'll find a clean water source and a place to stay." You could sense his hesitation as he starts to make his way along the stone wall. 'I hope he's aware of where he's headed...'

You follow Ink who was moving against the stone wall cautiously. It was pretty dark and there was a sense of unease that made you feel vulnerable. Maybe it was just because you were left alone in the dark with a stranger, but something didn't feel right about calling him a stranger. A cold hum echoed through the caves and the occasional sound of footsteps.

Stepping lightly, the minutes went by. There was something uneven about the ground as you took light steps. Cracks start replacing the once smooth stone and your steps falter. 'STOP!' Your instincts scream at you to halt and you scramble backwards. You put two and two together as the floor ahead of you was pitch black. There were many cracks spilling out of giant hole that replaced the ground. You let out a strangled bark as you realized Ink was still inching towards the drop, but Ink couldn't respond quick enough.

The unstable ground collapsed beneath him, gaping as if to swallow him. You moved forward without thinking. The next thing you know is lunging forward to bite onto clothing that carried the strong scent of paint. The stone started crumbling with a ground-shaking groan and you struggle pull backward.

Dragging Ink onto steady ground, you shudder at the enormous gaping hole and what could've been of the both of you. Dust exploded everywhere and you and Ink cough weakly, gasping for clean air. Once the dust settled, Ink sighed in relief and stayed laying on the ground.