Trapped Under Rainy Skylights

Copyright © 2012 Danielle Moynihan

All rights reserved

Chapter 2

Earlier that day.....

Althaia's POV

I closed my eyes and quietly sang along to my iPhone 4s as it played 'Never Let Me Go' by Florence + The Machine.

"Nice," A voice commented. My eyes shot open, and next to me sat one of my triplets, Caden.

I blinked in shock. "Jeez, Cade. Can you be any creepier?"

Caden smiled, placed one of the earphones in her ear, and took my iPhone. "Nice singing. But I'm really more of a Paramore and Three Days Grace girl." She tapped on a song, and, her favourite song by Paramore blasted in our ears.

"And it's obvious that you're dying, dying, just living proof that the camera's lying." We sang along to the song.

"Are you friggin' kidding me?" Someone groaned, and, as the speaker stepped into view. It was our other triplet, Adare.

"Hey, sis!" Caden waved Adare over to where we sat- on the roof, legs dangling inside because of the skylight.

"Get down from there," Adare hissed, trying to be cross and serious, and all that, but it's kinda hard to be serious when you're smothering laughs.

"But it's really nice out," I complained. Which was true. It was lashing rain, the clouds were the darkest shade of grey imaginable, with thunder and lightning occasionally occuring, and we were soaked- Not a ray of sun in the sky. A nice day.

Then there was the familiar creak of someone stepping on the creaky school dorm stairs.

Adare's eyes widened, all humor gone, and she grabbed one of my ankles in one hand, one of Caden's in her other hand, and yanked us down from the roof, sending us sprawling into a soaking wet pile on the plush green hotel carpet.

The door opened, and it was-

"Rynia!" Our sister stood there, taking in the scene. Her eyebrow arched as she saw us in a soping wet pile on the ground, under an open skylight. Her dyed London-blue hair was slightly wet, her gold eyes sparkling in amusement.

She smiled, and began laughing. "Only you two," She giggled, pointing at me and Caden.

Raina stepped halfway into the room. "Hey, do you guys- What the hell?"

I began to laugh even harder at the look on her face. Raina came into the room, and stood next to Rynia, looking eerily like opposites.

Raina's blond hair was currently dry, unlike Rynia's hair, wet from the rain coming in from the still open skylight, Rynia 's golden eyes sparked, but Raina's ice blue eyes gave the illusion of a cool blue pool. The only thing they shared in common was their pale skin, which their fellow triplet, Ryle, didn't have.

Caden and I stood up, and I noticed we stood in a circle. The Circle Of The Nox Sisters, we used to call ourselves when we were kids, making our brothers jealous. Only one spot was missing. Her spot. Adare didn't want us to talk about her, but especially not when Blaze and Zach were around. "If they don't remember them," Adare had said that day, too many lifetimes ago to count. "Then they're better off without the memories. It'll only make it harder for them."

Suddenly, my phone blasted out 'Good Feeling' by Flo Rida, snapping me out of my thoughts. I fumbled for the phone, and picked it up.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Althaia! Althaia!" Blaze's voice was frantic.

"Blaze, what's-"

"Althaia," He said urgently, cutting me off. "Althaia. They're here."

My eyes widened. "Where?"

Blaze's voice was grim. So grim I almost forgot he was only nine. "Sneaking into the top floor."

I nearly screamed. We were on the top floor. "Blaze? Where are you?" I asked urgently.

"On the street, I was coming back from a walk with Kelly and-" His voice caught. "No," he breathed in horror.

"Althaia!" He all but screamed into the phone. "Althaia, they've set the place on fire!"

"Where are Ryle and Zach?"

"Beside me. We're around the corner, hidden from view. Where are the girls?"

"Beside me," I said, horrified. "Okay," I told Blaze. "Don't you dare argue with what I'm about to say. Get Ryle and Zach, and run for Trafalgar Square. We'll met you by Nelson's Column."

Blaze hesitated,and I cut off whatever stupid thing he was about to say. "No 'but.' For once in your life, do as I say."

Finally Blaze replied. "Sure. Meet you there."

I hung up the phone, and quickly whispered to my sisters, knowing that, by this stage, the creatures would be close enough to hear me.

"They're here. They set the place on fire, and they're getting closer and closer to us as we speak. The guys are out already, they're meeting us in Trafalgar Square."

"If we get out," Rynia muttered darkly.

"We'll get out," Adare said firmly, giving Rynia's hand a light squeeze.

Footsteps camedown the hallway, and stopped outside the door, as my heart stopped.

"Sisters," An achingly familiar voice called in. "I'm here. Let me in."

I readied myself and mouthed to Caden, 'Stall her.'

She nodded, and called back. "Not by the hair of my chiny-chin-chin!"

I scanned the room, and Raina pointed to the open skylight.

I nodded, and she began to climb up to the roof. I tapped Caden's shoulder, knowing silence was key, or else they'd hear, and pointed to the skylight.

She nodded, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rynia begin to climb up.

I just hoped we'd make it in time.