Chapter 1: An Unexpected Turn of Events

Italics are thought-speak.

Ginny's POV:

It started as a routine trip to Diagon Alley but little did I know how extraordinary it would end up being. My mum and I had been strolling down the street to Madam Malkin's because I was in need of new bras. The day was really normal (well as normal as a wizard's day can be) until I felt pulled toward something, as if by a rope tied to my heart, over toward Gringotts. My feet moved toward the source of the pull when I finally got a look at what the pull directed me toward I looked into the most amazing pair of emerald eyes. A quiet voice in the back of my head whispered, "go to him."

When I finally took my eyes off his I realized who he was. He was Harry James Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived. The one who saved me. It was no secret that I had had a crush on him for as long as I could remember. After he saved me my feelings turned into love, but why was I so drawn to him now?

Harry's POV:

I finally got to leave the Dursley's for the summer. They'd been particularly horrid this summer because of the incident with Marge last summer. I almost wasn't able to stand this morning from the beating I had last night. I was certain that at least some of my ribs were cracked the rest were bruised and I think Vernon broke my wrist again. I always held myself back in my classes because if I ever got better grades than Dudley I got terrible beatings. I absently rubbed my chest and didn't notice my feet lead me off course until I saw the most beautiful pair of chocolate coloured eyes. I don't know how long I looked into those gorgeous eyes but when finally looked away I saw this girl had cascading red hair and beautiful freckles. This girl was Ginny Weasley. I always thought she was so strong even with the whole dairy thing. It took a lot of strength and power to hold him off as long as she did. After the Chamber of Secrets fiasco, I had started to develop a crush on Ginny. She was smart, strong, funny and beautiful, but no one knew about my crush. Finally I reached her and Ginny gently placed her arms around my neck and I folded my arms around her waist. Then we were enveloped in a vivid golden light.

Ginny's POV:

Suddenly I was engulfed in memories that weren't mine, they were Harry's. I could feel the harsh sting of a belt across my back as a man, Vernon Dursley, yelled at me, telling me I was a worthless freak. The lashes continued until my back resembled a slab of meat. Rough hands grabbed me and tossed me unceremoniously into a cupboard. Then another memory started. I sprinted as fast as I could away from Dudley and his gang but they caught me and beat me black and blue. Fists had connected with my ribs, head and back. Kicks pummelled my legs and chest. When they finally finished I could barely get back on my feet. The memories continued to flow into my head. Memories of a broken home full of beatings, loneliness and starvation. I barely registered the tears falling swiftly down my cheeks. The memories continued and I saw Harry saving the philosopher's stone, saving me from the basilisk, blowing up Marge Dursley and saving an innocent Sirius Black from death. I was stunned by the fact that all of this happened to a person who was so kind, brave and gentle. How could a person who was treated this badly turn into such a good person? I thought. Oh, Harry. I promise that I will never let the Dursley's near you again.

Harry's POV:

I knew the memory I was seeing wasn't mine when it began as a happy childhood memory. It was obviously a birthday party with cake, streamers, and a loud, off-key chorus of a happy birthday was sung. Presents were opened, it was so happy. I saw memories of Ginny being teased for having a crush on me. I saw the memories Tom had given her when he possessed her and how the rest of her classmates didn't like her anymore for being possessed. Even if it wasn't her fault they all blamed her. I didn't realize how much Ginny was struggling, I thought, I won't let her struggle with this alone anymore.

No One's POV:

Meanwhile as Harry and Ginny finished viewing each other's memories the golden light around them increased to a blinding glow and everyone in the alley stopped and turned to stare at what was unfolding in the middle of Diagon Alley.

Ginny's POV:

When my eyes opened I was laying down in a field of brightly coloured flowers. There were daisies, lilies, roses, carnations, and marigolds littering the emerald green grass. The small meadow was gorgeous. I looked around and I saw Harry lying beside me with my hand clasped gently in his larger, slightly calloused hand. He was looking around just as I was.

"Harry," I said and his eyes snapped to me. His gaze seemed to pierce me and stare straight into my soul. My eyes filled with tears again as I remember how much he endured and suffered. My breath began to catch in my throat as sobs wracked my body. Harry drew me to him, gently placing me in his lap, and he rubbed my back. When I finally regained some composure I said, "Harry, you are such an amazing person. Why is it always you in these horrible situations? It isn't fair. It isn't fair! You should never have had to deal with that!" Then I broke into more sobs.

"Ginny, I'll be okay. I've had to deal with this for longer than I can remember. I'll be okay," Harry said attempting to soothe me but it made me sob harder. "Please don't cry, Gin."

"Harry, how can I not cry when the boy I love is in so much pain? You're suffering and no one has done anything to help you, not Mrs.Figg, not Dumbledore, no one" I snapped looking deep into his eyes. Harry opened his mouth and closed it a few times before he lowered his lips softly to mine. This kiss was tentative and gentle. His lips moved ever so softly against mine and my hands tangled in his unruly hair and his arms wrapped around my waist. I gently pulled my lips off his and rested my head on Harry's shoulder ever so carefully. I could tell his chest still hurt, as did his back. "Harry, we need to get you away from the Dursley's," I murmured, "you can't go back. You just can't. I love you too much to lose you."

"I don't know if we'll be able to avoid it, but I'll try as I possibly can, I can't lose you either. I love you, too" Harry replied, clutching me closer. After that, we sat in silence holding each other tightly. I don't know how long we sat there holding each other.

"Harry, do you know where we are?" I asked with head resting softly on his shoulder.

Suddenly I heard a soft trill of a phoenix. I dried my eyes softly on Harry's t-shirt and looked up to see a pair of beautiful, golden phoenixes perched gently in the meadow. "Hello, young Harry and Ginny, my name is James and this my mate Lilly. We are bonded with the two of you because you have soul bonded," I let out a quiet gasp.

"I thought they were a myth!" I exclaimed with a shocked expression. Soul bonds were the stuff of romance novels. Where the girl met her perfect match in a man who would love her and never looked for anyone else.

"They're far from a myth, Ginny, they are very real but they happen so rarely everyone seems to believe that they are a myth," Lilly chimed in, "you have one with Harry. In a soul bond, you share everything, memories, pain and thoughts. You will be able to communicate with each other through thoughts. You two are truly soul mates you were made for each other. You each have one half of a soul and now that your bond has started your soul will be whole and no one will be able to tamper with it. At the start of the bonding you can be apart from each other, but not for long. After about twelve hours it will become extremely physically painful but immediately you will feel uneasy. The bond can also transport you to your bonded mate if there is in danger or the other is in need of you. This bond also makes you married in the eyes of the ministry. Before you ask, yes this means you are emancipated."

I looked up shocked. I was married to Harry James Potter. I was Mrs Harry J. Potter. Mrs.Potter. I was married to the boy of my dreams. I gently lifted my head and kissed Harry again. I had a husband. I was a wife!

"Yes, yes you're my wife, Gin," I heard Harry's voice but I didn't see his lips move.

I realized that he thought that to me. "Harry, I love you, my husband," I thought to him grinning.

"I love you, my wife," Harry responded and captured my lips in a soft kiss.

"Lilly, James, where are we?" Harry asked quietly, almost as an afterthought.

"We are inside your collective mindscape and you will be able to return here when you are asleep. That is where we will speak next because it is now time to return to your own bodies, we will see you in the real world" James told us and we faded out of the meadow and back the real world.