Chapter 12: The Yule Ball

Harry's POV:
The girls had been getting ready since eight in the morning, but us guys spent the day hanging out until we all needed to get ready. The day was spent with a few games of Explode and Snap and flying around the school grounds. All of had a blast until five-thirty when we all headed to shower and change.

After a hot shower, I put on my dress robes, tied my tie and put in the cufflinks. My cufflinks matched the hair comb that Ginny would be wearing. They were gold shaped into a rose with a small piece of obsidian in the center. I smiled before I put on my shoes and headed down the stairs to wait for the girls.

When I reached the entrance to the Great Hall, Viktor, Cedric and Roger Davis were waiting for their dates. As it was just after six-thirty, people were filtering into the Hall with their dates. From what I could see, it was decorated in glittering ice and there was a softly snowing sky as a backdrop. As I waited, I chatted with Cedric and Viktor until I saw the girls descending the stairs.

Though I saw Fleur and Hermione, my entire focus was on Ginny. She looked like an angel as she floated down the stairs. When she reached the bottom of the stairs, I walked over and pressed a soft kiss to her lip.

"Darling, you look perfect," I told her after I pressed the kiss to her lip.

"You look dashing as well," Ginny responded while taking my arm. Gently, we walked back over to the group and we conversed until McGonagall came to lead us in. When she organized us, Ginny and I were first, then Cedric and Cho, followed by Fleur and Roger, and last but not least Viktor and Hermione brought up the rear. Upon entering fully into the Hall, we were met by a round of deafening applause. Ginny and I shared a look before facing the assembled crowd with sincere smiles. When we reached the dance floor, each of the champions took their positions for the first dance.

Using one hand, I held Ginny's body close to mine, the other held hers as we readied ourselves to dance. As soon as the music started, Ginny and I twirled gracefully around the dance floor. About half-way through the song, I made eye contact with Viktor and he nodded. As we danced toward each other, we led each of our partners into a twirl and switched. As Hermione came out of the twirl, I grabbed her hand while Viktor grabbed Ginny. Both girls let out loud laughs as we spun away from each other. While dancing Hermione and I kept much more distance that Ginny and I had. I loved Hermione but it was only as a sister.

Everyone in the Great Hall let out a collective gasp at what we had done, then murmuring started. Hermione and I talked as we danced before Cedric looked over at me and we went to switch partners. At the same time, Viktor switched with Roger and danced with Fleur for a while. Then I danced with Cho for a short while, before trading dance partners with Viktor. Fleur and I danced until the song was coming to an end and we returned to our original partners.

Ginny and I came to a gentle stop as the last couple chords played and I pulled her softly against my chest. Once the music stopped, all of the champions and their partners turned to the crowd and gave a small bow before walking off the dance floor. Everyone was silent as they processed what happened

Just as we were exiting the dance floor, McGonagall found her voice, "Forty points to Gryffindor and Hufflepuff for interschool cooperation and fully understand the point of the tournament," Cedric and I smiled as we made our way to a table off to the side.

Instead of the usual house table that filled the hall, there were smaller circular tables that could seat eight people. The tables were adorned with ice blue table clothes and white rose centrepieces. Once we all sat down, a menu appeared in front of us. There were three options, Ginny and I went with the steak option. Everyone at the table made their decision and we ended up having a wonderful dinner together before dancing the night away.

As the final song of the evening began to play, Ginny and I swayed to the beat in each other's arms. Mistletoe materialized above both of our heads as danced. Softly, I lowered my head to Ginny's and captured her lips in a gentle passionate kiss. Sparks still flew every time we kissed and we continued until we both had to pull away for breath. It was a beautiful moment until we heard Ronald's obnoxious yelling from the Entrance Hall. Sighing, Ginny and I shared a look before exiting the dance floor to see what the commotion was about.

When we reached the Entrance Hall it was a disaster. Ronald was yelling insults at a crying Hermione who was partially shielded by Viktor's body. From the obscenities Ronald was yelling, it was quite obvious that he caught Viktor and Hermione in a lip lock.

"... You're consorting with the enemy, you are," Ronald spat at Hermione. Hermione had tried to keep talking and being friends with him. With one look at this scene, I could tell that this was going to be the end of that. Finally, Hermione had enough and turned to Ronald with furious eyes.

"Inter school collaboration is the entire point of this tournament, Ronald," Hermione spat at him as he stood glaring at Viktor, "and if you hadn't noticed, Harry's been hanging out with them too. I've tried to continue being your friend Ron. I really have, but I can't do this anymore. You bad mouth all of my other friends and I'm done tearing myself apart because of you. You just bought yourself a one way ticket out of my life. Leave me the hell alone."

Furious, Ronald turned and stalked away without a final remark. She tried to keep her composure and just barely managed until he was out of sight. Then Hermione allowed herself to break apart against Viktor's chest. By this time our whole group was assembled in the Entrance Hall and we looked at each other before deciding the best course of action. Ginny and I gently took Hermione from Viktor and we walked up the stairs to Gryffindor Tower after we bid our good nights. Ginny whispered consolingly to Hermione we walked. Hermione had finally regained her composure by the time we entered the common room and headed to our respective rooms.

As we got ready for bed, we both agreed that it had been a fantastic night except for the fiasco with Ronald at the very end.

"Goodnight, Gin," I murmured as Ginny cuddled into my chest.

Her face stretched into a gentle smile, "Goodnight, Harry," before we both settled into bed and drifted off into dreams.

N/A: thank you all so much for the amazing response to the story. Please keep the votes and reviews coming. I hope you like the new chapter.
-Sarah