Chapter 17

"Doctor, can't you tell me something?" Cole begged as the nurse told him to leave.

"Not now. You have to go."

Cole sighed and exited the hospital. Because of the delay in getting her medicine as quickly as she needed it the previous day, Taylor had gone into a complete pain shock that had placed her in a great deal of danger. Cole was upset, especially since Taylor couldn't seem to control herself and had to be held down in her bed by chains, the only thing strong enough.

Cole left feeling very sick. It was his fault. That's what he thought.

If I had protected her better, Cole thought numbly, she wouldn't be where she is now. I would be the one lying in a hospital bed, filled with pain so I could do nothing but be restrained because of a painful accident.

Cole felt like crying. There's nothing I can do.

He entered her room slowly. Taylor was held down by the chains in her bed, thrashing around and moaning. She had been moved to a soundproof room at the far end of the hospital- Room 446- because she kept screaming loudly as fresh spasms of pain hit her.

"Taylor!" He called to her. She showed no sign that she had heard him.

Cole watched, feeling panic rise up inside him as Taylor's shackled body kept going through its routine. At last, he couldn't stand it anymore and ran out of the hospital, where he surprisingly found Princess Shayla and Merrick waiting for him.

"I heard about everything," Princess Shayla murmured. "I'm sorry, Cole, but we can't do anything more for her right now."

"No!" Cole shouted suddenly, making Princess Shayla step back in surprise. "I refuse to believe that!"

"Cole-" Merrick began, but Cole turned on his heels and ran. He didn't want his friends around any longer.

All he wanted was Taylor.