Enduring the Darkness

Somewhere in the town, the clock struck 3:00 in the evening. Even though it was a busy day for other people, things worked out quite abnormally in two families. Three lives to be exact. Those three lives belonged to none other than  Khushi Gupta, Payal Gupta and Arnav Singh Raizada. It has been 36 whole hours since Raizada Mansion lost its sparkle, shimmering for 5 months.

The hospital staff was running here and there as if the whips of their seniors were behind them. People were following the doctors just like kids trying to beg for a gift from their parents, impatiently, to check if at least there is a slight chance to see the faces of their loved ones again, only thing is that this "Gift" was impossible to be given at the critical condition of the accident. One girl, probably in her late teens was accompanied by her old grandfather to look after the other two who are safe. Rumors were that only five people who have been transferred to the hospital with them have survived. Parami was thankful to god for making her, one of those five lucky survivors. She carefully held onto her Devi Maiya from both of the hands and whispered something to it. The statuette did not belong to her, but to the lady who had saved her, as she could remember in her faint memories.

(24 Hours Ago)

It was another horrible day, climate-wise and they were getting worse by the day. The laziness of its residents were justified because of the aggressive weather, much to the annoyance of some of their bosses. However for Parami, there was another reason for the day to be horrible. Today she was leaving Delhi after spending two weeks in the town, back to home in Punjab. She loved her village but, being raised in a sub-urban state, Delhi seemed like a wonderland to her. Everything was just a hand's distance away. It just seemed like she cannot get enough of the town. She felt bad that her 16th birthday gift was somehow coming to an end but deep inside her heart she was really thankful to her Dada Ji for giving her this surprise. 

The rain was becoming worst hour by hour; It was almost 2:00 p.m. when they boarded the bus to get to the nearest train station. There were only a very few people in their bus. The bus was operating at an unusually high speed. It was a miracle that no policeman wrote a ticket to the vehicle. The last detail she could remember was her sighing to the cold window while they approached a risky junction. There were flashlights and screaming and there was also that lady  wearing a blue salwar who hugged her tightly right before she closed her eyes tight. Thanks to her she was saved with a few bruises here and there. 

(Present Day)

Engulfed in her own flashback, Parami barely noticed the  small movement of the patient's hand who was trying to whisper something. "A..Arna..Arnav Ji" Unable to think of anything Parami panicked and hurried off to call a nurse while the patient helplessly murmured "Arnav ji".. "Arnav Ji".. "Jiji"... "Payal Jiji".

Parami: Nurse. Nurse. She is coming back to her senses.

Nurse: She appears to be silent now.

Parami: But she did. You do one thing. Can you check if there any other patients by the names of Arnav or Payal in this hospital?

Nurse: Let me check the records. I'll call the doctor. Is there any one to look after you?

Parami: My Grandfather is here. He went out to bring something for us to eat.

Parami looked at the retreating figure of the nurse in a hurry to call for a doctor. It was only after 5 minutes the a very busy looking man entered the ward. There were a lot of blood stains on his coat. After a quick check of the patient's vitals, the doctor accompanied the patient  to the operation theater without further discussion. Parami's grandfather entered the ward just in time with the nurse who donned a subtle victorious expression in her face. 

Nurse: I checked the records but there was no one by the name of Arnav in the accident. Although someone by the name of Payal Gupta was found in the Intensive Care Unit. She was severely injured. Do you want to meet her? She just gained consciousness 20 minutes ago but there was no one to look after her.

Dada: Oh! I was looking after a girl in the I.C.U too. But I just went out to bring some food for them in case they woke up hungry. What happened to the girl who was with Parami?

Nurse: She was taken down to the operation theater. It seems that even though she suffered less physical damage with the exception of a few bruises, she has had a severe concussion. But for the time being would you mind going near the other girl. It turns out that they both are sisters and she needs someone to for her support.

Dada: Yeah sure! Can you tell us where she is?

Nurse: Currently a Doctor is checking on her. She will be in the I.C.U, but she'll be shifted to a ward in a matter of few minutes. If you go quickly you'll be able to meet the doctor too...And find out anything about her. We expect the relatives of the patients to give us their full support, in this very critical situation. Everyone is busy, so we expect you'll to help the physically and mentally handicapped people in this accident.

Parami was about to respond that these patients were not related to them in any way but was stopped by the all-so-familiar sideway glance by her grandfather. She politely nodded and thanked the nurse's help and accompanied her grandfather to the intensive care unit to witness the said patient being carried out of it just as they reached the place. Dada Ji approached the doctor fast.

Dada: How is she doing now Doctor?

Doctor: How are you related to the patient. Mr?

Dada : Patel...Uh!! They both are my grand-daughters.

Doctor : Actually Mr.Patel, I have bad news and  good news for you. The patient is saved by a miracle. She might need a lot of attention from the family members so you will be able to take her home by tomorrow. The bad news is that she had a miscarriage, so she might be mentally disturbed by this time. Apart from that I want you to give her everything she asks for...also she has injured her leg severely. But things should get back to normal within a few weeks and I'll write up some prescriptions for her. Right now she is shifted to the Ward No: 05. Please meet her there. 

Dada : Thank you Doctor. 

Parami was having a hard time digesting all the information hurled at them. She could not even imagine the pain 

Dada : Beta, Are you Ok? Do you want to talk to us?

Payal : Khushi...Khushi...Where is she...How is she?

Dada : You don't need to worry about her.She is fin...

Nurse : Is there anyone here who is related to Khushi Kumari?

Payal : Yes.I'm her sister. Is she OK?

Parami : Payal Ji, She will be OK. She is not badly damaged. Please talk with me while Dada Ji check-up on her.

As the wee hours of the day approached Khushi woke up after a five-hour Operation. Unfortunately everything was not the same for her anymore...