Chapter 1: Heading Home

''Trust me Michael. I have studied the scans a thousand times.''

''So what happens now?'' asked Michael, fear and confusion lacing his words as his eyes turned from his daughter in the hospital room to the doctor in front of him

''Unfortunately, the chemotherapy has been unsuccessful and if we choose to continue, it will only result in weakening your daughter further, which is something we do not want to do.'' Doctor Sherwood replied, stealing a few glances to the young woman that have become one of his favourite patients throughout the last two years.

''Yes, but what is our next step, what do we do?'', the man asked frantically, getting more and more worried by the second.

''I am afraid the only thing we can do at this point is to let Tessa enjoy the time she has left and make it as comfortable for her as we possible can.''

''Wh'... What are you talking about? The time she has left...? What do you mean?''

''Michael, what I am saying is that we have reached a point where medicine can't do much for your daughter anymore. With the current information that we have, and considering that Tessa is indeed one of the strongest patients I've had, my estimation is that she has around six months left.''

Tears started to gather in Michael's eyes as he tried to process all the information that was given to him. His baby girl, his only child, the person he loved with all his heart had a very limited number of days left. As he turned around to look at her in her hospital bed through the glass, he thought about how indestructible she used to look. When she was born her cries filled the hospital room and the nurses started laughing saying that they had never seen such strong pair of lungs on a child before. When she was a toddler and she was learning to walk, she had used all her might and strength, and managed to climb out of her our own crib, which resulted in huge laughs from him and his wife. As she was growing up, she started getting into trouble and play pranks - but that never worried her parents - because they knew she would always come back, whenever she'd fall she would always get back up. She was a fighter, a warrior. Even when her mother, Veronica - the love of Michael's life - died, it was Tessa that stepped up and took care of him, even if she was just twelve years old. That was why Michael couldn't wrap his head around the fact that out of all the threats in the world, it was cancer that would claim his daughter. Only a coupled of years after he had so brutally lost his wife in a car accident, he would have his whole life taken away...

''I am about to go inside and tell Tessa the news, if it's too much you can always wai'...''

''No Marty, I'm fine, I'll come inside, we'll give the news to her together.'' replied Michael quickly. His daughter has stayed strong for him for the past seventeen years, he can stay strong for her for six months. With that both men headed to the hospital room behind them.

§

''So, fellows, how much time do I have?'' asked an impatient Tessa as soon as the men walked in her room.