Chapter 12

The cold, fall air is what I'm greeted with when I wake up. A smile planted on my face, I remember the date. Grayson and I became official the day before September started. So today being October first signifies our one month anniversary. I couldn't be more excited. Just like too many of our dates before, I have no idea what the plans are. I guess Grayson just hates giving me details...

"Genna get your ass down here!" My mom yells from downstairs. My head lifts itself up from my pillow, my mind starts whirling with ideas as to why my mom would call me downstairs this early. It's currently five in the morning and I usually get up a little before six, so why do I need to go downstairs? And why is she so angry?

My feet make hard thumps against our carpeted stairs as I angrily stomp down them. When I get down the stairs my mom is there, greeting me with her hands on her hips, and a hard stare thrown at me.

"What is it, Mom?" You can hear the irritation in my voice.

Her eyes roll, "Don't you 'what is it?' me, missy. You have a lot of nerve you know?"
I'm so confused. What did I do? The confusion on my face causes my mom to get even angrier. Me not knowing what she's angry about always gets her more riled up.

"I'm sorry?" I try. I don't know what to say, so it might as well be an apology. Maybe she'll think it's genuine and let me go back to sleep, forgetting whatever it is she's angry about.

My mom's face flushes with anger. "You're sorry?!" I nod franticly, scared of what she might do if I don't respond. "You didn't turn in your last three assignments and all you can say is sorry?!"

Oh. Oops.

"Oh! I'm so sorry. The thought completely left my mind!" It's true. With Grayson being such a big part of my life, sometimes I forget. Whenever I try to work he just pulls me over to him.

My mom and I talk about everything for a little longer, in the end she agreed with me and told me she would give me a punishment when I got home. I had to get ready for school, so I ran upstairs to take a quick shower.
Getting ready went as fast as the drive to school. My eyes search the halls for a specific person. Once our eyes meet, my feet tread faster to the other side of the hall. His grey eyes meet mine as his lips reach over to give me a quick peck. I smile at Grayson and his arm wraps itself around my waist.

"Hey, babe." When I first moved here, I never thought I would be happy again. Even though I'm not quite there yet, being with Grayson makes me feel like there is a possibility.

"Hey to you too," I respond, my face nuzzling into his neck, placing a quick kiss below his ear. His breath hitches as a throat clears. A random teacher that I don't have stands behind us. By the glare he sends Grayson, I can tell he has him. My eyes meet my favorite grey ones and we break apart, giving each other a silent goodbye.

My feet carry me down the hallway to my next class.

++++

The school day went by pretty fast. The coach needed help setting up some football thing that I have no interest in, so all the main players were excused to help him; I never got to see Grayson because he had to help.

The drive home was as boring as the way there. My radio silently buzzed with the sound of some random pop station. A song I had heard before and started to like came on, so I turned it up and bobbed my head to the beat. Since I was nearing the final stretch of the drive, the song was the last thing on before I turned the music off, along with my car.
The house was freezing, per usual, so I grabbed a warm blanket from inside our ottoman and fell on the couch cushion. My hand found the remote and switched on the TV. The channels all sounded boring, so I sat there flipping through the pages of the screen for what felt like forever before I found something that sparked at least the slightest interest in me.