Chapter 25: Lunch-time Scuffle

The lush greenery spanned a little over a mile. Across the expanse of neatly trimmed grass were a couple of hundred metre lakes and sand pits, located in strategic locations within the compound. 

A white buggy was parked some short distance away from two figures.

One of the men had grey streaks of hair, yet it remained well-kept against the strong winds. His facial feature shone with vitality despite his age, a sign that one has aged gracefully.

He was none other than Chen Xiu Ren.

Beside him stood a handsome young man of impressive stature, Chen Tian Lin. He came here not because he was dragged along, but because he felt at ease every time he laid eyes on the calming landscape before him. Soon, it became a weekly routine for the father-son pair.

Chen Xiu Ren swung his club in a smooth motion, hitting the ball off the tee with a loud ping. An inexperienced golfer would have trouble seeing where the ball flew off to, but Chen Xiu Ren didn't even need to look. That one swing landed the ball in the green.

"Excellent shot, Father." Chen Tian Lin lauded.

The older man smiled kindly, then shook his head.

"I'm getting worse by the years. You're just being polite." He said wryly.

"That's not true. Were it anyone else of your age, they wouldn't even be able to hit it that far." Chen Tian Lin insisted. After all, his father was still a better shot than him.

Chen Xiu Ren looked up at the azure sky with a hint of sentimentality, then turned and rested his eyes on his son.

"There are some things we just cannot accomplish in a single lifetime. That's why we leave behind our expectations to our children. Yet, every generation faces its own difficulties and challenges."

"I'm afraid that this challenge you and your sister are set to face...is nothing like we have faced before."

"Father..."

"That's why, it pains me to see such a rift forming in the organisation." Chen Xiu Ren held out his hand so he could continue speaking. "As the old saying goes; Empires fall from within."

"Are you worried about schemes from the rest of the directors?" Chen Tian Lin asked.

"Please be at ease, Father. We're making preparations even as we speak. We all know that the C-suite executive are unable to directly influence the company's cash flow. That's why we created the concept of the RSE in the first place. My lynchpins will soon be in place. The other two great bodies will be incapable of objections." His eyes gleamed with resolute firmness.

Seeing how earnestly stubborn his son was, Chen Xiu Ren could only let out a soft sigh.

"Having more allies is always better than making more enemies." He reminded him, then walked toward the buggy.

Chen Tian Lin remained silent, then followed shortly after.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The precepts of M University dictates that all students are required to go on an attachment programme before they graduate. This is usually done in their final semester, just before graduation, giving them ample time to adapt to the workforce before officially stepping into it.

However, students need to source for the companies themselves. In recent years, the Asian market is finding it difficult to recover from the devastation caused by the financial crisis. Larger economies like the US, Japan and China bear the brunt of the damage.