Chapter 34: Breaking Up

The setting sun reflected off the water surface like glistening shards of gold. Children playing by the park were now being reluctantly (and forcefully, or both) dragged away by their meddlesome moms. A café was located at the opposite side of the road, just next to the where the lake stood. The scenery was beautiful; quaint and picturesque, a perfect spot for an evening date.

Not a breakup.

Ming Kai occupied the table near the transparent glass window. From the side view, he looked almost as if he was taking in the scenery; staring out at the lake, the waterfowl, at the bawling kids who just wouldn't give in to their mothers, all with a cup of espresso, of course.

Utterly peaceful looking.

Except that he wasn't at peace in the least. Butterflies fluttered incessantly in his stomach ever since he got here, and whoever said that coffee helped calm the nerves was clearly lying. He didn't even like coffee in the first place.

He had chosen this place because it didn't stand out among the other more popular bistros in the area. The exterior was plain and its colours dull, and despite its cosy interior, not many people would venture into a joint such at this when Starbucks was just next door. No chance that anyone he knew would drop in on his potentially catastrophic breakup, if there was even anyone here to begin with at all, other than the waiter.

He had practiced for days, imagining every possible scenario and ways to go about not breaking Chen Yu Lin's heart more than it was necessary, and not sounding like a total jackass while doing it. Which was mission impossible.

He could already imagine the look on Chen Yu Lin's face; the look of anguish, confusion, hurt, and possibly...hatred? Ming Kai wanted nothing more than to abandon this whole idea, leave this café, drop her a message telling her he couldn't make it because of...something, anything! She sure as hell wouldn't like it, but those kind of tempers were easy to deal with.

The melodic chime of bells interrupted the soft music playing in the background, bringing Ming Kai out of his thoughtful trance.

Oh god, and here she comes. For once, Ming Kai wished that Chen Yu Lin would break her conscientious habit of arriving earlier than the appointed time for anything and everything. He hadn't even had the time to calm himself yet, let alone prepare to break the unhappy news. It wasn't difficult for her to spot him inside this near vacant room. Her face lit up like a candle when she saw him, and immediately began walking in a manner that told him she was really looking forward to a date, which made Ming Kai feel guiltier than he already was.

"You're surprisingly early," She said.

"Yeah..." came his reply. Chen Yu Lin did not miss the fact that Ming Kai wasn't being his usual self today. She sat directly across him, but not before ordering a drink of her own. "This is a cosy place." She added, trying to fill the awkward silence between them.

Ming Kai hummed in agreement, while the waiter appeared to the side, setting down a refreshing glass of ice-cold raspberry tea.

"So...what did you want to talk to me about?"

"That..." Ming Kai stuttered. He wasn't sure how to go about doing this. This was a mistake that he shouldn't have started in the first place, not when he knew for a fact that he didn't want to commit to this relationship from the start. Furthermore, he dated her because he wanted an alibi; a scapegoat, an excuse, something to prove that he was normal.

That he liked girls. Not...Terry.

"I...haven't been entirely honest with you," he continued. "Back when you confessed to me, I thought about how difficult it must have been, and how brave you were to tell me your feelings, despite the possibility of being rejected." Chen Yu Lin gave a puzzled look, pondering at the sudden sentimental heart-to-heart talk.