Chapter 4

It was evening when Sora exited the train station and entered the Imperial city. He gaped, slack jawed at the beautiful city in front of him. He, Tsel, and Crow did not breathe a word as they basked in its splendor as if afraid the magic would vanish.

Moist and salty, a gentle breeze blew in from the ocean, enveloping passersby as they idled along their way on brown tiled cobblestone pavements that glowed in the evening sun. The windy streets had exotic plants lining the pavements, forever giving the city its sweet scent. The marble walled buildings were aesthetically made to ascend in height slowly around the city to its middle where the towers of a glistening brown castle with the Imperial flag flying proudly above it towered above them. Cars hovered unhurriedly past them as workers returned home for the night and he spread out his arms and took a deep breath, relishing in the sweet scents.

Sora asked for directions from a guard, then took their time sightseeing as they made their way to the hotel. He laughed when they entered a park called Field of Dreams and saw a man chasing after a girl, confessing his undying love.  They stopped at the centre where a Turk vendor sold cameras in front of a magnificent fountain made from emerald green stones, where water poured from the gourds of three mermaids lazing in the sun.

He bought a camera and took pictures of him, Tsel and Crow and explored a bit more. At seven sharp, a bell rang across the city, its tolls a mix of godly tunes that left him feeling serene. All the street lamps lit up around the city, brightening up like a constellation of stars.

He smiled with satisfaction when they finally got to the Imperial Star. It was a splendid white tower that lost solely to the palace in height. A large star spun in place at the top of the building, periodically changing colours.

Sora paid for their rooms then made his way to the hotel’s restaurant. He bumped into a fair-skinned tall man wearing a brown waistcoat at the door of the restaurant and apologized when the man’s wallet dropped. Upon closer inspection, he noticed the man looked in his late twenties and had a slight stubble. His brown hair looked like it had been scratched a lot and stood out in parts.

“I’m so sorry,” Sora said as he bent down to pick up the wallet. It accidently opened and he swallowed hard when he saw a badge from the Union which revealed the man to be a Thomas Jack.

“Sorry kid,” Jack apologized. “I’m a little preoccupied so I didn’t see you there.”

“No problem." Sora handed the badge to him. “Happens to all of us.”

“You’re a good kid.” Jack said, then turned to one of the waiters. “Whatever he’s having is on me.”

“We couldn’t possibly-” Tsel started.

“Thanks Mister.” Sora beamed. “You’re not too shabby yourself.”

Jack chuckled as he patted Sora’s shoulder. “Well good night kid, I have a long night ahead of me.”

“Night, and thanks for the meal,” Sora called after him as he left the restaurant. Jack waved over his shoulder. Sora and Tsel sat down by a window and watched people idly pass by while they ordered their meals.

“Finally,” Crow said with relief. “Acting like a dumb bird is tiring.”

“Who asked you to?” Sora asked, realizing that was the longest time he had gone without Crow’s sarcasm.

“You simpleton. Do you not realize it would draw unnecessary attention if you walk around with a talking bird.”

“The bird’s got a point,” Tsel affirmed, ignoring Crow’s glare. “Also, you must not, under any circumstances, use your Personal Gear until we’ve left this city”.