Chapter 5: Three Seas

Somewhere above the Pacific,

0500 hours, 24th May 1450 A.B.S

The roaring drives of the 7th Fleet of the Western Union, destroyed the serene calm of the skies as three Dreadnaughts and ten Leviathans sailed across the sea of clouds. They awaited for their next assignment, their bullet designed hulls gleaming imposingly in the sunlight.

Captain O’Reilly, a short, stout man in his late fifties with sandy blond hair sat alone in the bridge of the proud flagship of the 7th Fleet: Warmonger, going over the last of his plans. His eyes were bloodshot from working overnight, going over the reports from Rosetta.

The interference from the mercenaries had added a slight twist to his plans, but even those - after a few adjustments - had fit his purpose perfectly. The only wild card left was the mystery pilot of the Bull that had taken out two of their Dolls. The only sure witness was a Sargent Miller who was still unconscious at the moment. Well it did not matter; one pilot could not possibly make that much difference.

“Morning Captain,” a young female voice greeted.

O'Reilly looked up from his holoscreen to Lieutenant Evelyn Peters, a slim, tall blonde in her twenties with short hair and a fair skin. She was a daring woman and the only person he could not get angry at. Her favourite square rimmed glasses were perched on the bridge of her nose, threatening to fall off at any moment.

“Good day Lieutenant,” he replied. “Did you get the Intel I requested?”

“Aren’t you going to ask how my night was?” She pouted, sticking out her lips in cutesy fashion

“Spent with Sargent Harvard I presume.” He sighed as he checked for more updates from Rosetta.

“Oooh, yes,” she confirmed, squealing with delight. “You’re right on the money and he’s soo heavenly…”

“Please spare me that image Peters,” O'Reilly said as he rubbed his sore eyelids. “Now the Intel if you please.”

“You’re no fun in the morning,” she murmured as she flicked out a screen from her pod and slid it to him.

“Nor any other part of the day,” he replied as he took the screen.

“Always wondered: Why are we trying to get Rosetta to join the war? They don’t have much battle strength,” she asked as she took a seat at the navigations station.

“It’s not that they don’t have. It’s that they don’t use it,” he said as he maximized a news article from fifty years ago. The headlines read:

MYSTERIOUS WEAPON ENDS WAR. IMPERIALS DECLARE EAST NEUTRAL

“What’s that?”

“Fifty years ago, the East became a neutral region,” O'Reilly said, “However, they used a weapon the likes of which we’ve never seen to win that neutrality. That immense power is just rotting away in that city,” he said with a raised voice. “If I get that power, this war would be over in mere days!”

“Wow. What makes you sure they won’t use it against us.”

“That’s where the Princess comes in. With her in our hands, they wouldn't dare attack, and since there are confirmed revolutionaries in the city, I can always claim they were in league with them from the start.”

“What happens when you get whatever it is successfully?”

He looked up from his screen and into her eyes with a look that sent chills down her spine. “All opposition must be destroyed.”